Windows Vista reservations
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Windows Vista reservations

Hey guys

So my laptop is reaching 3 years old and I think it's time I start considering purchasing a new one. Everything comes with Vista... yay... or something.

I have no experience with Vista, none of my friends really have serious experience with Vista and audio equipment. I pretty much want to run it with everything (VSTs, Traktor 3 and Scratch with turntables, MIDI gear) audio related... so what is the verdict? I am not getting a Mac, so before any fanboys start espousing the greatness of all things Apple don't bother. It's too much money and I can get PCs to work just find, thankyouverymuch.

So... what are your experiences? This purchase isn't urgent but will be happening in the next few months, pending finances.

Thanks
    J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

A detailed rundown on why Vista with Service Pack 1 is (finally) great for audio, from a very trustworthy source.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/0...been-so-tough/

My laptop came with Vista and i downgraded it to XP
    XP is working really well for me at the moment while Vista was giving me some problems(clicks and pops), however my setup has changed alot since i last used it and time has passed so its hard to comment. I know one thing though if its not broken i am not fixing it

Sofar I am liking Vista SP1... The only downer is, I can't get my BCR to work? :eek:
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Sofar I am liking Vista SP1... The only downer is, I can't get my BCR to work? :eek:
    Tekki without his BCR is like....... Tekki without his BCR!!!

I have a friend looking to do exactly the same as DvlsAdvct; though he wants to get a Dell and downgrade to XP, but is concerned that the newer CPUs might cause some conflicts? Any grounding for such a worry?
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

@kidfromkibbly... You're so true.... But... Now I am trying to uninstall the USB hotfix, see if that changes anything....

(otherwise I will have to try to find my old MIDIcables again ans see if that will work. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Some companies have commented that they will not upgrade and skip vista and just wait for windows 7. Microsoft stated that they will offer an upgrade every two years. In my opinion just wait for the next version. Just wanted to say im a mac guy.
    Thank Ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    Tekki without his BCR is like....... Tekki without his BCR!!!

I have a friend looking to do exactly the same as DvlsAdvct; though he wants to get a Dell and downgrade to XP, but is concerned that the newer CPUs might cause some conflicts? Any grounding for such a worry?
    I have an Intel T9300(8 months old) and it works fine when i downgraded to XP.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I have an Intel T9300(8 months old) and it works fine when i downgraded to XP.
    Great, thanks Bento, I'll let my mate know about that. It was also something I've been considering myself.

RAM question! If I add an extra 1GB (Bringing me up to 2GB)to my current set-up, what differences will it make to the running of programs like Traktor and Ableton?

I can't afford a new laptop any time soon and I have so much other gear I need to get my hands on first, so a RAM upgrade is a medium term solution for me.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Mentor

i run vista home premium sp1 and all is fine.. no issues stable as