Cleaning & Detailing MIDI Controllers, CDJ's, Drum Machines, etc
    Tech Convert

Default Cleaning & Detailing MIDI Controllers, CDJ's, Drum Machines, etc

Hey DJ TechTools,

Mark Quest here with a brand new thread just for you guys. Todays thread is about Cleaning & Detailing your Equipment and basically how to pimp up gear & keep it all looking fresh. So I have a few questions I'd like to ask you, The DJ TechTools Community

> OK, Firstly, How do you clean your controllers & whatever else you make sweet sonic lurve to What types of cloth & sprays are you using to clean your equipment with & what are the pro's & con's of certain methods of cleaning jog-wheels, pitch-sliders/ faders & sticky buttons..

And,

> Secondly, any tips on detailing & cleaning the INSIDE of controllers to keep them at optimum performance? Anything that should be avoided at all costs & not messed with? I'm sure there's a heap of newbies & people that don't know much about electronics in general (myself included!) out there, who would love to know just a little bit more about basic electronics & how everything is working/ buzzing away in there.. Always good to get a thorough understanding of your machine so you know how to treat it better, kinda like your computer - there's certain things you just don't do to it or make it do, because you know it's fucking the CPU up, etc.. Same thing applies here

Any help will be muchly appreciated & I'll deposit the poster 5 Karma points for each tip

A dry (unused!) paint brush to get dust and the like out and away from faders and EQ's. I've also got access to Aircraft Canopy clothes, with are that smooth they couldn't scratch wet paint! Useful for keeping stuff destatified and dust/scratch free.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

On the outside, i use isopropryl alcohol, on the inside i use an air can (just be sure not to turn it upside down)

I've had a beer spill all over my 400ege. Stripped it all down and cleaned the PCB and faders with 100% isopropyl. let it all dry, then I used Caig Deoxit Fader Lube on the pitch and line faders and most of the pots. Works like a charm. Faders are nice and smooth now. For regular dust I use Cyberclean http://www.geekalerts.com/u/cyber-clean.jpg Makes my gear look like it just came out of the box.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Quest View Post
    Hey DJ TechTools,

Mark Quest here with a brand new thread just for you guys. Todays thread is about Cleaning & Detailing your Equipment and basically how to pimp up gear & keep it all looking fresh.
    Aww, I thought you were going to give us some tips instead of starting a "how can I clean my gear" thread. Sneaky way of asking a question that has answers everywhere.

1 can of dust off
    1 vacuum
    1 leaf blower
    2 paperclips
    12 beers

Mcgyver those together into a controller sucker blower, and clean your gear out.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.