Anyway to decrease the delay from midi controller to software?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyway to decrease the delay from midi controller to software?

I'm using Traktor Pro with my DJC4 midi controller and I notice a slight delay from when I raise a fader channel, pitch level, turn a knob, etc. to the actual change in the software (whether TP, VDJ, etc.). Is there a way to decrease or possibly eliminate this delay since it can affect the output such as when to cut the bass bass, pitch change, etc.? Is this always going to be there compared to using a actual mixer? Anything we can do in the software, midi controller, or computer to adjust this?

Tech Mentor

Wish I could help.. but ive NEVER had MIDI Latency issues.... this seems like something else is amiss here. I don't see a reason a byte format message should be delayed over even a 6 foot distance

Tech Wizard

Google the "latency" setting in Traktor. I think ideally you want it to be less than 12ms, if your CPU can afford it.
    Macbook Pro
    Traktor Pro 2 | Kontrol S2 | LPD8
    Ableton Live | Ableton Push

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by elmgroove View Post
    Google the "latency" setting in Traktor. I think ideally you want it to be less than 12ms, if your CPU can afford it.
    ... He said MIDI what would your audio latency have to do with the reaction from on screen movement to fader movement

Ok he didn't say midi.. but his explanation made that clear

the audio Latency will affect the controller to software response. turn your latency up and test it if you don't believe so. what are your system specs?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    the audio Latency will affect the controller to software response. turn your latency up and test it if you don't believe so. what are your system specs?
    In a logical world this makes no sense. Sure I tested it just for giggles since I Know it doesn't, but yeah it didn't affect anything for me.

Im also not the original poster and don't use an all in one controller audio device. But still, separate protocols should not affect each other in that way.. Engineering dictates such.

Using a Audio 10 midi in to attempt to recreate the same thing for the OP and based on your statement.. also gives me the same results.. Audio Latency effects midi message delivery in no way what so ever for me.
    Last edited by balakoth; 04-05-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Tech Guru

When you're screwing around with the audio driver latency settings, the latency you're hearing is of course latency in your audio driver. That is totally separate from any latency involved with MIDI processing.

My question is not about audio delay, but the delay from rotating knobs, pushing buttons, sliding faders, etc. on my DJC4 controller and what I see happen in the software. There seems to be a slight delay from when I move the actual knob,fader, etc. on the controller to when it actually moves in the software.

For example when I push the Pitch level like just above the 0% mark on my controller and it's like 1mm up the pitch level in the software is still at 0%. Or when I make returning the pitch level back down to 0% the software will show the bpm to normal when the level is still a bit above the 0% on my actual controller.

So is there a way to fix this or not within the software or computer settings? This is also true for some of the other knobs for gain, eqs, etc. If anyone can give me some feedback that would be great.

Where do I look in TP to check what my current latency is?
    Last edited by joemann002; 04-05-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Tech Wizard

Ah okay, I thought you meant audio. To be honest, if its visually not responding right away, I wouldn't worry too much as long as your audio is responding in time. But I might not be picky enough
    Macbook Pro
    Traktor Pro 2 | Kontrol S2 | LPD8
    Ableton Live | Ableton Push

there is another box you open i think and i cant look at it tonight
    but it has everything to do with the latency in the midi signal

its there, and you can set it for
    1ms
    2ms
    3ms
    4ms
    5ms

when i get my ass up after tonights gig in the morning ill take a look. im not 100% positive but i think its what you are looking for
    its in your traktor preferances though..... hold tight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast