The "legacy" of DJ AM...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The "legacy" of DJ AM...

I wanted to throw this out there as a point of discussion, and it's something I've been pondering today...

Yes, DJ AM was just another performer on two turntables and a mixer, but as I look at it he was really the first person (at least in a while) to make it big and into the mainstream strictly because of his skills as a DJ. Yes, he did the stuff with travis barker and that could be called "original" production work, but as I look at it, he will probably be remembered as a DJ and for his work as a DJ, and not necessarily a music "producer".

Question for discussion 1: Did DJ AM open the door for true "DJs" (i.e people playing other people's music) to actually make it big and be successful as a DJ (NOT as a producer)?

Question for discussion 2: Will DJ AM's public recognition as a DJ mean that there will be a change in the way the public views "DJs" in general?

Go.

1: Maybe if you're a scratch DJ? Otherwise, no.

2: Nah, probably not.

not to downplay any significance he had for anyone, but at this point he's just a tabloid for a lot of people. they will forget, and DJs will keep their status.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I agree with djhipnotikk. Without being disrespectful its just a story for the tabloids because of his Madonna/Blink etc connections.

If it was another DJ , i dunno, Mix Master Mike the tabloids would have a little bit on a middle page with a few lines saying 'Beastie Boys DJ Dies' .
    The amount of press that people get is often linked to who else they know.

As for the questions.
    1.No, there were plenty before him.
    2.No. DJs will always be considered as overpaid, drugged up goofs that just play other people music. Who cares.

Is he really that famous in the USofA. Hes not well know in UK (in the mainstream).

I dunno, this is just a UK perspective.

never heard of him... until his premature(?) demise... RIP though.

point of czech view.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Ive been going through my remix collection and checking some DJ am stuff. Im like yea. I liked this mix alot but I didn't care who made it at the time.

My point being ... There are alot of really good DJ AM mixes in my collection that i had no idea about. Does someone have to die to be recognized in my world. No .. I knew it was good when I heard it. But the significance of check out ... that is undeniable. I would never want to be famous. Rest in peace Dude.
    Last edited by audiomontana; 08-30-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Tech Guru

no and no. he didn't make it into the mainstream by his dj skills, he made it into the mainstream by his celebrity associations (nichole ritchie and travis barker). That's not to say he wasn't talented at what he did, but honestly I've been in the scene for +10 years and I'd never heard his work until after his untimely passing.

it's a tragedy that he lost his life, but let's not prop him up to be anything he's not. He wasn't the first mainstream recognized dj either, anyone who would think that clearly missed the bigbeat explosion in the 90s that gave mainstream exposure to the likes of Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, The Crystal Method etc etc. and those guys didn't achieve such status by humping Reality TV stars.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 08-31-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    those guys didn't get to where they are by humping Reality TV stars.
    well..he did do some other stuff that i think helped in his rise to fame:

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Goldstein
    Goldstein was a former member of the rock band Crazy Town, and worked on albums for Papa Roach, Madonna, and Will Smith, among others.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    well..he did do some other stuff that i think helped in his rise to fame:

im not trying to be mean, just being real. did you honestly ever hear of DJ AM as anything other than Nicole Ritchie's boyfriend? It's news to me that he was in either of those bands.

and the fact you had to bring up wikipedia to support your argument is kind of proof in the pudding bud

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    im not trying to be mean, just being real. did you honestly ever hear of DJ AM as anything other than Nicole Ritchie's boyfriend? It's news to me that he was in either of those bands.

and the fact you had to bring up wikipedia to support your argument is kind of proof in the pudding bud
    nah brother i got you, and i'll be the first one to admit that i had NEVER noted this dude before he got in the plane crash (though i did recall him doing stuff with crazy town after checking the wiki, unfortunately their music sucked). don't really care either way, i don't claim to be current in all music everywhere, "popular" or not. i didn't know he had anything to do with that dumb cnt until you said something :P

on a side note.. what's your grudge with wiki? :P i reference it for anything

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    i don't claim to be current in all music everywhere, "popular" or not. i didn't know he had anything to do with that dumb cnt until you said something :P

^ lol i'm a sucker for celebrity gossip what can I say. it's a guilty pleasure. have your laughs we all got our thing we like to do that ain't cool hahaha.

no grudge against wiki. it just looked like you had to dig that up to find the thing out about crazy town... i didn't know anyone listened to crazy town.. haha there. now we know what your guilty pleasure is !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast