Swiss Club Scene
    Tech Mentor

Default Swiss Club Scene

Hey all, hope everyone's doing ok.

So I just confirmed today that I'll be doing an internship in Geneva for the summer. I was wondering what the club scene is like out there. Music, prices, crowd and what-not.

So if anybody's been or lives in Geneva and would like to point me in some places worth checking out please do!!

Switzerland is as a whole very active with djing and the music scene, but it tends to be very local with little mixing between cities (which is weird considering how small the country is).
    Most of the main cities (Zürich, Bern, Basel, Lausanne) also have influential djs and producers some of which are on the international scene (Ripperton, Deetron, Kalabrese etc).

I know Lausanne which is close to Geneva(45 minute train ride) is awesome regarding nightlife.
    I have no doubts about Geneva being active as well.

The crowd are sometimes hard to get along with as they can be in their own bubble but at the same time most people are also pretty cool.
    Prices, it being Switzerland it's a bit pricey (a beer costs 6-7 swiss francs (7 CA$)) like pretty much everything in the country (rent is high). Everything is very efficient ( a little less down "south" than in the northern part of the country). Train system is great to get around (there's a nationwide pass (and also half price card) that's worth getting if you intend on going around a lot).

Summer is a great time to be in Switzerland, there's a huge festival ranging from jazz to rock to whatever. There also big street parades in Lausanne (perhaps Geneva as well?) and in Zürich (that end with awesome festivals ).
    Time allowing, you'll very likely have a great summer!

If you have any specific questions ( I'll look in more detail regarding the night scene in Geneva) don't hesitate to send me a private message I know my way around pretty well as I spend a lot of time in Switzerland (I live 30 minutes from Basel).

Tech Mentor

@johndavid sweet thanks a lot man. really appreciate it. I think I've found a place. It's one of those student building. 440 Sfr a month. my flight is like $1500CAN round trip from Toronto (yikes) Then after all that I have to come back to school here in Barbados. But Yeah I'll definitely PM when it gets closer to time. Thanks again.

Tech Mentor

I am from Switzerland so i know the scene a bit, but i don't know much about geneva.
    Zurich and Basel are the main cities for nightlife and clubbing, zurich has the highest density of nightclubs of europe (since it only has 400k inhabitants).
    What i can say in general is that prices are very high (easily 20.- entry and 7.- for a beer) and, compared to the us and canada, the nights start late and last long. I never go out before 1am (clubs open at 11pm) and almost never come home before 6am.
    Depending on the style of music you enjoy and how important good clubbing is to you, you should definitely consider going to zurich for at least one weekend (it's like 3hrs by train from geneva).
    I heard the nightlife in Lausanne is quite good as well, and it's like 30mins from Geneva, although i have never been there.
    The only nightclub in geneva i have ever been to was "L'usine", i really liked it's industrial look and underground feel, so i would recommend that. They also host like concerts and plays there during the week.

Public transportation in Switzerland in general is very good and very safe, but dont forget to buy a "Nachtzuschlag" when you travel between 1am and 6am, it's an additional ticket for 5.-, if you dont have it, you pay a fine. It's kind of a tourist trap, almost nobody knows about it.

Feel free to hit me up via pm if you have any questions or if you come to zurich for a night out and need a guide
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Quote Originally Posted by BiggChev View Post
    @johndavid sweet thanks a lot man. really appreciate it. I think I've found a place. It's one of those student building. 440 Sfr a month. my flight is like $1500CAN round trip from Toronto (yikes) Then after all that I have to come back to school here in Barbados. But Yeah I'll definitely PM when it gets closer to time. Thanks again.
    oh nice price on the rent!
    1500 CAD seems high for your flight.
    Are you flying into Zürich? I've had super cheap flights from Zürich to places in the States that had stopovers in Toronto; at around 5-600 USD roundtrip.

One little thing about Switzerland, there's this fictionnal border that crosses the country it's called the röstigraben meaning the Rösti ditch (rösti is typical swiss potato dish) and it divides the country economically, linguistically etc
    And people generally don't know much about what's happening on the other side of the röstigraben.

and yeah Zürich is a must (but you'll have plenty around Geneva/Lausanne), I go there very frequently, even if Basel is next door I'm more than happy to travel an extra hour.

Tech Mentor

Man you guys are super helpful. The flight I found was straight from TO to Geneva, but I've heard it's definitely cheaper to get into Zurich, so i'll definitely consider that. You two will definitely be hearing from me come closer to the time.

Thanks again.