Serato DEMO ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serato DEMO ?

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Sorry. I just always hear "try before you buy" here on DJTT.

And with Serato, which is one of the TOP 3 DJ software programs out there, you cannot.

That's all I wanted to clarify. And IMO it's not good for the consumer.

>
    You never hear that. None of the top 3 software packages actually allow you to "try it" without purchasing hardware. The only, marginal, exception is VDJ Home, which has nothing to do with an actual DVS due to not working with hardware. Traktor LE is only bundled with controllers, VDJ LE is only bundled with controllers, and Serato Intro is only bundled with controllers, in fact, it could be argued that Serato has one of the best "Demo" packages out there.

Whenever you hear "try before you buy" it refers to actually going to a retailer and putting hands on the hardware itself, not sitting there in your bedroom clicking the mouse, trying to crossfade and mix with onscreen controls. This thread is nothing more than a troll trying to vent about an issue that doesn't exist.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    You never hear that. None of the top 3 software packages actually allow you to "try it" without purchasing hardware. The only, marginal, exception is VDJ Home, which has nothing to do with an actual DVS due to not working with hardware. Traktor LE is only bundled with controllers, VDJ LE is only bundled with controllers, and Serato Intro is only bundled with controllers, in fact, it could be argued that Serato has one of the best "Demo" packages out there.

Whenever you hear "try before you buy" it refers to actually going to a retailer and putting hands on the hardware itself, not sitting there in your bedroom clicking the mouse, trying to crossfade and mix with onscreen controls. This thread is nothing more than a troll trying to vent about an issue that doesn't exist.

The Traktor Pro demo has a totally unlimited feature set. It runs for 30 mins per session.
    You cannot demo scratch functionality unless you have hardware but you can demo every other feature and DJ with it you can also prep tracks with beatgrids to see how the sync functionality works with tracks/fx etc.

It used to be 30 days but people were simply backing everything up and reinstalling it before the 30 day limit. Yes they really were.

You can't actually do the one thing that you need to do with the Serato demo which is DJ with it. I understand why, it's because it is tied to hardware but that doesn't make it a good demo. It renders it pretty useless.

When I started with digital I got all the demos I could and I distinctly remember being hacked off that I couldn't at least try Serato with a mouse and have 2 decks.

I don't know loverockets motive for this thread, I mean doesn't everyone know that the Serato demo is only one deck ? I thought everyone knew this so I'm unsure if he is being genuine or just looking having some fun but I have to say I agree with the premise of his thread (certainly not all his posts).

Bollocks. All the big DJ software packages apart from Serato come in a software-only format. You can buy Traktor Pro without owning a single piece of hardware, the same for VDJ, PCDJ, Torq, etc etc. Not to mention, you can always "borrow" a copy from a friend and try it out without first splashing out £300 on a controller.

Seriously, the lack of a Serato demo is the main reason why I HAD to go out and purchase Traktor after buying the Terminal Mix 4. For my style of mixing, Serato is just utterly shite; if I'd known that beforehand, I might've bought the Jockey 3 instead. I daresay there are plenty of other people out there who have similar regrets with different (or even the same) hardware, simply because they couldn't try out the bundled software beforehand.

EDIT: The whole "Serato has a 1-deck demo mode" argument is bullshit, as there's no EQ functionality (which means you can't experience the curves), no effects, no sync etc. It's basically a "demo" of the browser, and that's about it.
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 04-06-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    The Traktor Pro demo has a totally unlimited feature set. It runs for 30 mins per session.
    You cannot demo scratch functionality unless you have hardware but you can demo every other feature and DJ with it you can also prep tracks with beatgrids to see how the sync functionality works with tracks/fx etc.

It used to be 30 days but people were simply backing everything up and reinstalling it before the 30 day limit. Yes they really were.

You can't actually do the one thing that you need to do with the Serato demo which is DJ with it. I understand why, it's because it is tied to hardware but that doesn't make it a good demo. It renders it pretty useless.

When I started with digital I got all the demos I could and I distinctly remember being hacked off that I couldn't at least try Serato with a mouse and have 2 decks.

I don't know loverockets motive for this thread, I mean doesn't everyone know that the Serato demo is only one deck ? I thought everyone knew this so I'm unsure if he is being genuine or just looking having some fun but I have to say I agree with the premise of his thread (certainly not all his posts).
    I don't really consider software without hardware behind it a "demo," more like "Manual iTunes/Winamp." I have a feeling that trying to mix with a mouse would actually deter new users more than it would bring them in...

I don't really consider software without hardware behind it a "demo," more like "Manual iTunes/Winamp." I have a feeling that trying to mix with a mouse would actually deter new users more than it would bring them in...
    Then clearly you just flat-out don't understand the OP's point. Or mine for that matter.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

How does this even make any sense..?

With the Traktor Demo you can load a few tracks. Set cue points, learn to do grids, loops. You can create playlists and you can physically DJ using hot keys. How is that remotely comparable to iTunes..?

i've heard the "try before you buy here as well," and i have told people to check out the available software demos to see what works best for them. as stated, traktor pro has a full demo (minus scratch) for 30 minutes at a time. virtual dj has a free home version that you can check out. ableton has a full demo you can use for 30 days (as long as you are connected to the internet). i was unaware the serato demo was a one deck only situation, but at least it gives you some idea.

i think it's a good idea. you can see the software, how it looks, check out the features, see the workflow, and decide from there. sure, it's not optimal to dj with a mouse and keyboard, but it can be done and you will get the point and feeling of each brand.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    i've heard the "try before you buy here as well," and i have told people to check out the available software demos to see what works best for them. as stated, traktor pro has a full demo (minus scratch) for 30 minutes at a time. virtual dj has a free home version that you can check out. ableton has a full demo you can use for 30 days (as long as you are connected to the internet). i was unaware the serato demo was a one deck only situation, but at least it gives you some idea.

i think it's a good idea. you can see the software, how it looks, check out the features, see the workflow, and decide from there. sure, it's not optimal to dj with a mouse and keyboard, but it can be done and you will get the point and feeling of each brand.
    This is the most neutral reply i've read...and i agree with it!
    Pioneer DDJ-SX / Maschine Mk2 / Akai MPK25 / KRK Rokit 8 RPG2 / Serato DJ / TP2 2.6 / Live 8 / Reason 5

Beats + Funk + Noise = The Broken Floor

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    i was unaware the serato demo was a one deck only situation, but at least it gives you some idea.

It's not the same though. It's literally a browser with a Play/Pause button and a waveform. There's cuepoints as well but that's about it. You get basically the same functionality on Soundcloud for christsake. Any Serato user can see the "demo" by just starting the program without any hardware attached... it's ridiculous.

I would kill for a two track version of serato and would even pay for it just for set preperation for gigs that dont let me hook up my box since they have serato already there. I dont see why anyone would care demo wise tho. You get to see the basic functionality of serato through the single track, pictures, and videos. Yall need to stop arguing. Negativity slows down progression not increases it.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast