Timecode vinyl or CDJs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Timecode vinyl or CDJs?

I am 15, almost 16, and I need some advice. Basically my birthday is coming up and I wanna upgrade my dj set. But ive quit djing until college to work on school and I thought id practice like crazy until college to be super good then. But should I upgrade to a turntable and get timecode? Or CDJs and also get timecode? The thing is, I love the feel of vinyl but by the time im in college, will clubs even have vinyl timecode there anyways? I dont wanna buy vinyl and no club has vinyl... what do you think?

Oh and ive used vinyl and CDJs and I completely prefer vinyl. I just dont want to practice for 2 years on vinyl and then end up having to use CDJs in a club.
    Last edited by Bobwont; 04-06-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobwont View Post
    I am 15, almost 16, and I need some advice. Basically my birthday is coming up and I wanna upgrade my dj set. But ive quit djing until college to work on school and I thought id practice like crazy until college to be super good then. But should I upgrade to a turntable and get timecode? Or CDJs and also get timecode? The thing is, I love the feel of vinyl but by the time im in college, will clubs even have vinyl timecode there anyways? I dont wanna buy vinyl and no club has vinyl... what do you think?

Oh and ive used vinyl and CDJs and I completely prefer vinyl. I just dont want to practice for 2 years on vinyl and then end up having to use CDJs in a club.
    CDJ'S it's the most logical choice really. When you start playing in clubs it will really help to know the ins and outs of the equipment you are using. And yeah most clubs probably won't have vinyl in a few years. Plus you get rekord box with CDJ'S walking into a club with just a USB stick, headphones and backup CD's is awesome.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

First off, turntables aren't an upgrade, just a different media.

Go with what you like. I've got friends with cdjs, clubs use cdjs but I prefer vinyl. I like the feel, the control, the visual cue of the grooves, and flipping records. I'm also very partial to a platter that turns. I don't like the platters on cdjs for that reason, however I don't mind using them.

Go with what YOU think you will like/use more. Here, you are going to get 3 answers:

1. Get turntables, tech 12s are the best, don't settle for anything else.
    2. Cdjs because that's what clubs use
    3. Stick with what you have.

Pick what you want, but if it were up to me, you would already be using turntables.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

If i were you i'd go with cdjs. I don't see a vinyl comeback in the clubs in the next years, cdj's and controllers are going to be the standard with vinyl dj's having to bring all their gear up in the booth.
    At least that's how i see it..
    How about denon 3700s or the new numark ns7 II?

While I personally prefer vinyl it's worth noting that the state of turntables in clubs can be pretty dire... Can't stand using technics held together with dust and prayers.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

I'd go for the turntables with timecode vinyl every time. CDJs aren't that hard to use, and I find them to be a lot less fun to play on.

Tech Mentor

What setup are you using at the moment?

Tech Guru

If you want to learn to play in clubs you may as well get cdjs. They tend to only have turntables at bigger gigs or when a big DJ has been booked and asked for them, in my experience. You can always get turntables once you're comfortable on the cdjs.

If you have rekkids or want to be a turntablist then go with vinyl timecode. If you are going more into playing the clubs and sticking to whats new get the cdj's. Id recommend a used pair of 800's or 850's to start off with.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Where are you from, Bobwont? I'm guessing the US. If UK, I'll be putting my CDJ800mk2s and DJM600 up for sale soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast