I'm suprised there is so much hate..
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default I'm suprised there is so much hate..

.. For 'traditional' A>B mixing.. I was scrolling back through some of the older forum posts and couldn't believe the amount of people hating on A>B mixing..

I know the thread has been closed and I'm not trying to open up a can of old worms but some of the most legendary sets have been played A>B.. And continue to do so!

A>B is NOT boring or lacking creativity. The real creativity and genius are the records you're selecting. I'd go as far as saying 90% of DJ's currently play A>B, yes there are some exceptions such as Hawtin but the majority still play in the traditional way. One deck to another and back again.

I'm not trying to start an argument and I completely respect those who choose to incorporate more than 2 decks and use additional equipment, loopers, samplers, FX, live drums/synths etc..

It all comes down to the music, it's not about quantity, it's about quality.

RESPECT!

J

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thepanache View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument
    ...but that's what is about to happen, I assure you.

Of course, you are right. I didn't wade into that previous thread because It didn't deserve my time.

People saying that it's lazy or an acceptance of low standards are simply not looking outside their own small minded perception of djing. There were some idiotic posts in that thread that showed some people to be very naive.

Keb Darge is one the funkiest men that has ever lived and he just plays records. Just plays records. Great DJ. One song, then another.

Richard Norris (Wizards Sleeve et al) just plays records. When I saw him last he was more wankered than me and tunes were ending before he had picked the next cus he was dancing and having fun. Every single song he played over 3 hours was brilliant. Amazing natural song choice and done without a flying fuck about samples/multiple decks/beatmashing etc.

Horse Meat Disco are brilliant live. Their mixing is very dodgy (when I have seen them anyway) but every single tracks takes your head off, every time.

"Bring the hate... It's Britney bitch"

A>B means different things to different people. To me it just means mixing one track into another, using simple volume fades and some minor EQ'ing. For me at least, the "A" and "B" relates to the two tracks that are playing, and NOT Decks A and B in Traktor.

You don't have to incorporate loops, and one-shots, and cue points in order to be creative. But you DO need to have the techniques and skills to be creative.

Learning to beat match is easy. Learning to EQ is easy. DJ's need to WANT to be more creative - but too many people around here are just so happy that after a couple of months they CAN beatmatch and EQ 2 tracks together that they STOP LEARNING, and start Jesus posing.

Demand more from yourselves. We've got MAD TOOLS available to us. Use 'em! Blatantly, or subtly, USE 'EM!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    DJ's need to WANT to be more creative
    Its just as, in fact probably more creative to pick out an amazing set of tunes that are programmed to take the clubber on a "journey" (cliche) as it is to learn how to use some technology and use it to devastating effect.

Stop being so bloody minded about the use of technology and tools. It amounts to piss in most peoples hands and sounds dreadful.

Tech Mentor

some of my most enjoyable sets have been on a rotary mixer with no EQ and just straight a-b mixing. Something rather satisfying about a perfectly blended mix that's better than any 3 effects and a drop to make the mix.

A b mixing is pretty hard for the add mentality so many have.
    Usuing heavy effects and loops and shit like that has been done lots. Or James Zaibela best known and does still Judge Jules used to have heavy use of samplers in the early 2000.

I consider the button mashing cue jumpin and effects overkill pre planned horror to be somewhat a disgrace to te pedigree of never looking a your screen only button mashing maybe a cue jump.

So am I just hating because I can not do this.... Answer simply put NO

I can and have done this I have setup traktor and likely close to 300 tracks with cue points to the tits to where I can button mash and do a live remix of a track and can for an entire 2 hour set. Without having sync on and just using quant..

I find though using serato Dj with my ns6 and having no quant no sync and just a few cue points setup far more musically appealing to why I love djing. Being able to beat match a track set 32bar loop and jam out on eqs filters and subtle delays on track a while knowing track b I playing in phase and matched so I can swap drum tracks or hihats but that's the extent of what I did myself doing more.

Using traktor and taking the amount of time to go am I goi to juggle this track ad use 6 effects is not fun to me it takes away from the authenticity of just showing up and dropping a killer 4 hour journey across genres and tempos something most guys that do the new style of mixing can't do simply put

Quite happy to A-B DJ here, it's all I really do most of the time. If I want to do more, I'll just play my own music live instead.

I came to this forum because it was populated by like minded people that were into a form of djing that was seen as niche and was probably seen by many as not legitimate djing.

All the members were cool to the cause and were not judgemental. That's why I joined.

If something was shit, then it was shit but the format and the style of djing did not matter as long as what the DJ produced was pleasing. Didn't matter if 'you' didn't like it just as long as you could see the merit in it for others.

In past few years this forum has been on a gradual slide into what is pretty much a fascist state with a handful of very intelligent, clever, well versed hard-liners whose opinions are rammed home in threads such as the previous "A-B Mixing" thread.

It amounts to something just short of forum bullying. There's a little gaggle that forms on some threads and they use their forceful opinions to batter down people and they get away with it because their opinions are well formed and not always wrong but, very rarely the only correct opinion and it's that last bit that pisses me off the most. There seems to be a lack of tolerance or even just acknowledgement of other peoples views.

Just because this is DJTechTools does not mean that we have to be so blinded by technology that views such as those expressed in that thread get battered down by the force of the loud minority.

I am not aiming this at anyone specific but this forum is looking less and less attractive to new members all the time because you open your mouth and you are likely to get a boot shoved down it.

You are spoiling it.
    Stop it.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I came to this forum because it was populated by like minded people that were into a form of djing that was seen as niche and was probably seen by many as not legitimate djing.

All the members were cool to the cause and were not judgemental. That's why I joined.

If something was shit, then it was shit but the format and the style of djing did not matter as long as what the DJ produced was pleasing. Didn't matter if 'you' didn't like it just as long as you could see the merit in it for others.

In past few years this forum has been on a gradual slide into what is pretty much a fascist state with a handful of very intelligent, clever, well versed hard-liners whose opinions are rammed home in threads such as the previous "A-B Mixing" thread.

It amounts to something just short of forum bullying. There's a little gaggle that forms on some threads and they use their forceful opinions to batter down people and they get away with it because their opinions are well formed and not always wrong but, very rarely the only correct opinion and it's that last bit that pisses me off the most. There seems to be a lack of tolerance or even just acknowledgement of other peoples views.

Just because this is DJTechTools does not mean that we have to be so blinded by technology that views such as those expressed in that thread get battered down by the force of the loud minority.

I am not aiming this at anyone specific but this forum is looking less and less attractive to new members all the time because you open your mouth and you are likely to get a boot shoved down it.

You are spoiling it.
    Stop it.
    Well said. Almost should be a sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    I didn't wade into that previous thread because It didn't deserve my time.
    same here. there were too many people talking out of their ass in that one.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast