Dealing with chatterboxes in the booth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dealing with chatterboxes in the booth

So this has happened to me a lot of times in the past during my short "off bedroom" career. Whenever I get to the booth and start spinning, there's always someone who'll come and have a chat with me. Granted, some times they are just there for a couple minutes and then just walk away after noticing I'm kinda busy. But sometimes there's that insistent chatterbox person who just won't stop talking to me no matter what, messing up my concentration and leading me into less ideal results in my mixes.

This actually happened to me last night at a bar night where I was being tried out. Since I was spinning mainly deep house/tech house I wasn't so strained in concentration as I would be while spinning an electro house set. But anyway, the sound tech guy comes in and start chatting his ass off about this and that, he was a friendly guy, but I still had to devote a lot of time to the guy out of politeness sake, and didn't know how to just shut him off. Usually some people take the hint when I put on my headphones, lift my hand in a "wait a second" gesture and then I carry on for a couple minutes just enjoying the mix. This particular guy just didn't get it so I ended up not enjoying about an hour of my 3 hour mix, but hoping that at least I could be remembered as "the nice new guy from the other day".

So what do you guys handle this?
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

So you were being tried out, and someone that works at the venue came along and gave you a hard time?

Hmmmm..... Sounds like you were being tested in more ways than one, mate. And you ignored him and showed him your hand?

Hmmmm..... I wonder what he told the manager/owner after you did that?

Gotta keep your wits about you when you're playing in a new venue. People may test you.....
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    So you were being tried out, and someone that works at the venue came along and gave you a hard time?

Hmmmm..... Sounds like you were being tested in more ways than one, mate. And you ignored him and showed him your hand?

Gotta keep your wits about you when you're playing in a new venue. People may test you.....
    He talked him up for an hour and he was polite. I see this as a bonus and he did the right thing.

As for bystandards, I usually say hi, nod smile and go back to what im doing. Sometimes I get on myself about it because then I feel im not hitting the right tunes because THIS person obviously isnt interested in dancing lol

I'm pretty sure that this guy wasn't part of the "test". Albeit, his own opinion will count. What I was trying to say is that most of the time take the hint when you start to cue up a track and give you a minute. This guy didn't (he was kinda high though lol). I was very polite with him and actually chatted with him for an hour, but I felt kinda uncomfortable while doing so.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

This is why most DJs have a "DJ's mate" standing in the booth next to them. They basically act as a filter between approaching wankers and the DJ themselves. When I'm doing photography, I tend to make a couple of circuits of the club then return to the booth and fulfil this role until enough time has passed for another circuit; during this time, plenty of people - usually girls - approach the booth, generally to make stupid requests.

The DJ's mate then has to evaluate a) the attractiveness of the girl, b) the reasonable-ness of her request, and c) whether or not the DJ is actually likely to have that track. They then pass it on to him and he'll either acknowledge it with a wave/thumbs up to the customer, or say "upstairs" or something, at which point they explain to the customer that they'll have to go upstairs for that particular track. When the inevitable arguing starts to happen, it's the DJ's mate who gets their ear bent, not the DJ themselves, thus allowing the DJ to continue with their mixing.

I use the term "DJ's mate" not only for the possible friendship which may exist between them, but also as a rather awesome pirate ship metaphor.

It's your gig, you're your own boss when you're in the dj booth.

You have to manage your time, the people with who you interact, the flow etc.

Hints don't work especially not with guys (didn't you already realize that?), so if someone is talking your hear off then politely tell them that you don't have the time to talk with them.

Just leave the cans on ad nod as rude is it is sometimes has to be done... Ad usually start moving with the beat performing some odd routine making it uncomfortable and to let them know likely aren't going to get in your zone or just shit your pants

This logic is definitely flawed. If anything, what if the manager noticed the DJ talking his ass off to someone for an hour. That would look worse.

I highly doubt a promoter or manager would send a puppet or distraction to "test" he DJ with his charisma skills.

Anyways OP, I think you did the right thing. I get people who come up and talk to me all the time (sometimes even the manager for extended periods of time). I just try and focus on my music, nod, and give them short answers but always keeping a smile.
    Being rude can only lead to bad situations.

I like the "put finger up and put headphones on" move... And then I sometimes go "I'm sorry what were we taking bout". It's kind of a nicer way to hint that you weren't listening cause your busy.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Guru

Always get in with the sound tech's, especially when building a reputation...If a venue is shorted, the booking manager is usually not on site, so the sound tech may very well give you a last minute call, atleast from my experience.

Yeah I always talk to the sound techs, they are cool and they know I'm working. Talking to patrons sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast