S4 or DDJ-SX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S4 or DDJ-SX?

Tech Convert

Default S4 or DDJ-SX?

I can't decide

DDJ SX any day
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

I would say the s4 definitely because I would chose traktor over serato for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by djtsmooth View Post
    I would say the s4 definitely because I would chose traktor over serato for sure.
    I've used my DDJ SX with Traktor since I got it in november. and there is not one thing I cant do with my SX that I could do with a S4, But there are lots of things I can do with my SX that cant be done with only an S4 using Traktor
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    I've used my DDJ SX with Traktor since I got it in november. and there is not one thing I cant do with my SX that I could do with a S4, But there are lots of things I can do with my SX that cant be done with only an S4 using Traktor
    How about using it as a Traktor certified soundcard to enable Timecode control? Not only does the DDJSX not do this in Traktor but it also doesn't work on it's "home" turf.

There's probably an easy $300 on the table in price difference so you'd have the money to pick up a F1

S4 + F1 > DDJSX
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

I also believe that the DDJSX doesn't have good jogwheel control in Traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    How about using it as a Traktor certified soundcard to enable Timecode control? Not only does the DDJSX not do this in Traktor but it also doesn't work on it's "home" turf.

There's probably an easy $300 on the table in price difference so you'd have the money to pick up a F1

S4 + F1 > DDJSX
    You would need to upgrade to Scratch pro for timecode to work on S4 and you cant use it without a computer connected only 2 external sources can be connected. No filter in standalone mode. but the questinon was S4 or DDJ SX so I guess the price is the least of his consern.

Tech Mentor

It really just depends on the software you prefer. I love the build quality on the SX but non-native integration with Traktor is a deal breaker for me.

I use Viper's mapping with Traktor and it works fantastically for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    It really just depends on the software you prefer. I love the build quality on the SX but non-native integration with Traktor is a deal breaker for me.
    Agreed! Totally depends on what floats your boat and allows your creative juices to flow.

For a lot of guys on this site, they love Traktor because it's extremely customizable/versatile, has incredible effects, easy beatgridding, and works with nifty controllers from NI like the F1 and X1. The S4 can also be used with timecode vinyl, so if you like turntables, it can essentially be used as a mixer - that's cool!

I personally go with Serato because I'm used to the GUI and workflow...maybe I'm too stubborn to learn new things in Traktor, but using ITCH/Scratch is second nature to me so I can focus on what really matters when I DJ - the music!

Get what you know you'll be able to pair with your style the best.
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast