Hobby or more?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobby or more?

Default Hobby or more?

Hey guys, got a little subject I'd like your views on.

I am currently at University in the UK, studying Biochemistry in the 2nd year. I'm also an aspiring DJ and beginner producer.

The problem is work at University takes up a lot of time (especially heading into 3rd year, I should be expected to have barely any free time) and so does playing out at gigs, or learning ableton from youtube videos etc (normally nights finish at around 3-4 around here). I also find that time I spend djing/learning to producing etc is a lot more enjoyable, and not mind numbingly boring like my course. With all this is mind I find it hard to concentrate on my studies as I always want to be refining and learning more about DAWs and sound engineering, playing gigs and become a better producer.

I quite frankly hate my course at university and whilst tonnes of people advise not to drop out of school to pursue the music entertainment industry it has crossed my mind before (even though I know a career is not guaranteed), I feel like I want to pursue what I enjoy at a music production college (such as point blank in London) rather write a dissertation about proteins next year...

How do/did you guys at university (or work) balance out workloads with producing etc?

Has anyone actually experienced what I want to do before?

Cheers.

I'd fully concentrate on school. It's only a few more years.
    Used Record Shopper

music is one of those things that you have to put 100% into to make it FULL-TIME... you get what you put into it...so that being said, part-time practice = part-time success...

you are already in your 3rd year I would not drop out. You can at least have something to fall back on if music doesn't work out.

Myself, I have been dj'ing since 2000 and graduated college in 2004... some years I am more active then others... I try to get an hour/day practice in but sometimes that is hard with the demands of wife, kids, & my dog... I probably average 1-2 gigs a month... enough to put a little extra money in the bank and to keep my presence known in my town for future gigs

but that is enough for me and my lifestyle...you can put more into it then me and be more successful
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Mentor

I'm a senior in college in the US (who applied to medical school). As a DJ (and not a producer), I find that it is definitely possible to balance gigs, digging for tracks, and school. Just segment your week so you have "work days" where you work as efficiently for as long as possible to clear up time later in the week. Be disciplined, stay focused, and don't get a girlfriend that demands you spend too much time with her.

Bu the real question is why you study biochemistry if you hate it.

ah, the best advice ever stated by dayvue... if you want to be successful...DON'T GET A GIRLFRIEND...or at least a high-maintenance one

I dj'ed every weekend when i was in college, had 3 part-time jobs (grocery store, dominos, radio-station) and had a girl-friend who is now my wife and It seems like I had a lot more time back then...weird
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by purpl3aki View Post
    Hey guys, got a little subject I'd like your views on.

I am currently at University in the UK, studying Biochemistry in the 2nd year. I'm also an aspiring DJ and beginner producer.

The problem is work at University takes up a lot of time (especially heading into 3rd year, I should be expected to have barely any free time) and so does playing out at gigs, or learning ableton from youtube videos etc (normally nights finish at around 3-4 around here). I also find that time I spend djing/learning to producing etc is a lot more enjoyable, and not mind numbingly boring like my course. With all this is mind I find it hard to concentrate on my studies as I always want to be refining and learning more about DAWs and sound engineering, playing gigs and become a better producer.

I quite frankly hate my course at university and whilst tonnes of people advise not to drop out of school to pursue the music entertainment industry it has crossed my mind before (even though I know a career is not guaranteed), I feel like I want to pursue what I enjoy at a music production college (such as point blank in London) rather write a dissertation about proteins next year...

How do/did you guys at university (or work) balance out workloads with producing etc?

Has anyone actually experienced what I want to do before?

Cheers.
    Hi OP,

My advice, stick with the course you're on now and see it through, get the degree under your belt seeing as you're almost there now, however you can sort of do both if you manage your time well.

I went to Uni in 1996 and undertook a Mechanical Engineering degree, which like yourself, involved a lot of contact/lab time. I also got involved in and DJ'd at quite a few University club nights and also ran a few nights in town as well. However it was after Uni and when I got a job that I really got stuck in to gigging a lot more because A) More time and B) had a degree related job which paid fairly well, so the pressure was off.

It is possible to do both, but definitely concentrate on your degree first, you can easily concentrate more fully on the DJ'ing/Production afterwards. I spent a lot of time and the majority of my student loan in the local record shops, which was a great way to obviously get music but also make friends/contacts, get involved in the local scene and get gigs.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Mentor

I am currently in exactly the same position as you, but studying economics. If I was you, I would get your degree, meaning that then you can have a go at music full time, but you still have a degree to fall back on.

it is much easier to focus on your skill as a dj/producer when you have a good paying job and do not have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck... people have made it on hustle alone but i'm not willing to do that

Tech Mentor

OP stick to your course mate, it would be daft to stop it now.

It is do-able to balance between the both, i currently work 3 jobs, in a Law Firm, as a freelance tv presenter/cameraman, and obviously DJing and Promoting nights....

its all about having the right balance like anything, i spend evenings during the week either digging for music, working on production, or giggin, and on the weekends i do the same around filming around race tracks over the country or world.

Buyin a Ipad and Traktor DJ has made this a lot lot easier though
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    it is much easier to focus on your skill as a dj/producer when you have a good paying job and do not have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck... people have made it on hustle alone but i'm not willing to do that
    I agree with this.

I was a lecturer for 4 years on Creative Music Technology program; and currently there are two ex students who completed their degree and made music/ DJ'ed etc in their spare time.

But now that they have graduated they have been signed (one has just been signed by perfecto for a Bullet in the gun remix btw) and I think its because they have worked hard at Uni and have that to fall back on.

They both have a 9-5 job, have some cash coming in to pay the bills, etc and mix and produce in their spare time. So technically its a hobby but they are starting to really get into it.

So yeah. Work hard play hard and if you are lucky enough to make it big time the day will come when you have to decided to quit your day job

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast