Music discovery forum?
    Tech Guru

Default Music discovery forum?

I was wondering if anyone knew of such a place? There's a few threads around here dedicated to discussing a genre, and I was wondering if there was an actual forum for this? One of the core principles of DJing, in fact, THE core principle, is music, and yet I struggle to find a DJ forum dedicated to discussing music. It just seems like a no brainer in this age of the internet to be able to discuss with people all over the planet the coolest banger from 1980 that was forgotten by time, or indeed be reminded.

I was just wondering. I strive to be a wikipedia of songs, I guess, and I feel sometimes everyone is focused on the latest iVinyl Scratch Pro Live 7.3 II than the thing that matters the most to us.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

Music blogs, but they usually post up 'mainstream' artists.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Music blogs, but they usually post up 'mainstream' artists.
    Not just that, but they're one way, ya know? Like now, I could say
    "Oh man, I really love that Disclosure remix of Jessie Ware's Running" and then you could go
    "It is good, I have a few songs that are pretty similar actually, check these out" and thus ensues a conversation where we educate each other in songs, and other people join in.

With music blogs it's like "Check out this shit you can download for free in 320. Oh yeah buy it on beatport if you like it". I mean, come on?

this a gear/software driven site...as you can tell by the preoccupation with it...

We can only give you suggestions as to what labels and artists that WE like. It's up to you to find your sound. Dig. Dig. Dig.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    this a gear/software driven site...as you can tell by the preoccupation with it...

We can only give you suggestions as to what labels and artists that WE like. It's up to you to find your sound. Dig. Dig. Dig.
    I know, I didn't ask why this site didn't do it, I know why it doesn't, I was asking if there was another, and believe me I have my sound(s). The other night I worked with a lot of DJs, and not one of them wanted to talk about music. What's up with that? One only cared that he couldn't do his set properly because the club didn't supply him technics for his Traktor Timecodes, the rest were walking around with their beats headphones around their necks, or drinking themselves into a coma. Where is the passion? What are we without music? Some of my favourite songs have come from people saying "Oh man you ever heard this?" when we're having a mix session together. There's no "I'd show you some of my favourite songs but I don't want you to steal them from me. Go get your own music taste".

EDIT: Another example is on here about a week back in one of the music threads, someone posted Gesafflestein - OPR. It's become a staple of my sets, but if I was digging, I would never have gone in that direction, and never would of found it. But because of the two way interaction, I found that song and now I use it to degrade sets into pounding techno.
    Last edited by Sambo; 04-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.

I wouldn't say pounding techno is degrading. :P
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

It's not, but that song is just, dirty, hip thrusting madness. Like Ron Jeremy on top of an Italian sports car banging a panther.

Gesaffelstein is king.

Tech Guru

Well.. I know of other places to discuss music, but their main purpose is.... debatable lol if you get what I mean.