Mapping Keyboard without effecting Launchpad
    Tech Wizard

Question Mapping Keyboard without effecting Launchpad

Hi everyone,

One of my friends asked me to dj for her party but I don't have a very good setup for djing live. My setup consists of a launchpad, an akai mpk 25 key keyboard, and Live 8. Since Ive already mapped the 8 available knobs on the midi controller, I tried mapping the crossfader to the actually keys on my keyboard. When I map the keys on my keyboard, it also maps the launchpad. Is there any way I can map the keyboard notes without it effecting the launchpad so I can still use the session mode on the launchpad?

Thanks

Don't use the keys - just use the Launchpad. whatever you have mapped to the keys, delete it and re-map to the LP in User 1 or User 2 mode. You can map a range of buttons (one horizontal row, or even a verticle cloumn) on the LP to the cross-fader in Live

You really don't need any other controller than the LP for DJ'ing with Live. Session Mode, Mixer Mode and the 2 user modes are more controls than you'll ever need.

Although, some knobs ARE nice... if I was you, I'd use the LP for all button press type control, and just use the MPK for the knobs.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Don't use the keys - just use the Launchpad. whatever you have mapped to the keys, delete it and re-map to the LP in User 1 or User 2 mode. You can map a range of buttons (one horizontal row, or even a verticle cloumn) on the LP to the cross-fader in Live
    Thanks for the reply. The only thing I don't like about mapping to the LP is that you cant move the crossfader very smoothly unless you map it to a huge range of buttons. Is there anyway around this? Like have one button launch an automation that will slowly move the crossfader to either side?

Yeah - you can do this with Dummy Clips in Live. But it's pretty complicated.

You create a midi clip in a session slot, that outputs an automated midi curve (on teh midi channel and note/CC that you have assigne dto the crossfader) to an external midi channel. You route ths BACK into Live, and assign the clip to a button on your LP. When you trigger the clip, the midi signal goes out of Live (from the clip) then comes BACK into live and does the crossfade.

The great thing about Dummy Clips, is that tthey are TOTALLY automated, and TOTALLY beat sync'd. Check out ALDJ for info on Dummy Clips. They are TRULY awesome.

I'm tlling you - LP, and Dummy Clips is all you'll ever need for DJ'ing. Hell, with Dummy Clips, you can do away with ALL controllers and use your keyboard.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Yeah - you can do this with Dummy Clips in Live.
    I actually used a few dummy clips for momentary beat repeat but I never really thought about using it for the crossfader. What i don't understand is how to get the envelope to modulate the crossfader. By external channel do you mean outside of live?