DJs using sound engineers
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default DJs using sound engineers

Obviously it's something that has gone on for a while, maybe more so recently as the electronic music world expands.

What are people's thoughts on a DJ using a sound engineer? Is it right for a DJ to have tracks written for him? Or for a DJ never even to look at a DAW and have all his tracks produced, such as ghost writing?

Is it ok for a DJ to seek help when writing?

I know a few that I could name drop, but not sure that would be morally right, so let's just keep it to your thoughts on the subject.

Discuss.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Obviously it's something that has gone on for a while, maybe more so recently as the electronic music world expands.

What are people's thoughts on a DJ using a sound engineer? Is it right for a DJ to have tracks written for him? Or for a DJ never even to look at a DAW and have all his tracks produced, such as ghost writing?

I know a few that I could name drop, but not sure that would be morally right, so let's just keep it to your thoughts on the subject.

Discuss.
    Morning Joe,

Nice to have the sun shining on our city for a change.

im not sure were your going with this question matey, are you talking about for production and having a masterer for your tracks or for a live djin set were the engineer tweaks the eq volume etc while you dj??
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Mentor

Morning Kdogg,

It's sunny, but I've still had to whip out the old scarf this morning! I was hoping to have a techno BBQ this weekend but Manchester is expecting rain. Shocker!

No, nothing to do with mastering or live sets. When I say sound engineer I don't mean the type you find at a venue. I mean the sound engineers that have proficient skills in Ableton/Logic or any other type of DAW. This in essence, means that DJs who can't produce (and feel the need to), seek these people and say; write me a techno track or write me a dubstep track. This comes at an expense obviously.

Now, what I'm asking if do people see a problem with this. If a DJ has an idea for a track but doesn't have the technically capacity to carry this out so he goes to an engineer and they sit down together and the engineer writes the track with the DJs input. However, the is another side. Some DJs simply email an engineer and say "write me a deep house track". This is called 'Ghost Writing'.

I'm just wondering if anyone has issues with this...
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ

Tech Mentor

A techno BBQ, sounds good fun! Were was my invite? ha

Ahh i see what your on about now, ummm i kinda do this at work at times; sometimes im the producer for some of the tv shows we commision but i dont have the editing skills to make the show, i will sit in the editing suete with a editor and tell him what to do, so the idea will be coming from me or whoever but the editor puts it together...

in regards to music etc, i suppose this is what most pop artists do... they recieve a beat/song and then write the lyrics (sometimes dont even do that) and sing over it.

i would probably sit down with a engineer and run through it but mainly so that i could learn how to use the DAW whilst with him....

ghost writing im not too sure about....

is this something your thinking of doing Joe?
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Wizard

There's 2 perspectives here, a producer perspective and a DJ perspective. I think as a DJ it's not necessary to have any original tracks at all, and that DJing as an artform is pretty much independent of making original music. So as a DJ if you have someone producing original stuff for you, like you're working with a producer who can't DJ and you're a DJ who can't produce, I see no problem with it.

From a producer/musician perspective obviously it's really lame to stamp your name on stuff you didn't make.

I think it's important to keep the 2 separated in a discussion like this even though there's a lot of overlap between the 2 nowadays. It's different if the person is a DJ, a producer, or a producer + DJ. Like as a DJ I think it's assumed that much of the music you play isn't yours, and as a producer I think it's assumed that all of the music you release is yours. I think for a producer/DJ it's the same as being a producer... it's a bit corny to take credit for someone else's work.

BUT I can't say it's completely black and white, there could be legitimate reasons for a producer/DJ releasing stuff that's not him but in general it's probably rare and in most cases it's not cool.
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    A techno BBQ, sounds good fun! Were was my invite? ha
    Soon as I have one dude when the weather is better I will give you a shout. Decks in the garden, bliss!

is this something your thinking of doing Joe?
    Definitely not. I like to think I have a lot more pride than to try pass something off as my own. You may get a lot of praise but at the back of your mind there must always be that guilt that you didn't actually have any input in the original track.

I would love the opportunity to sit down with a sound engineer for tips/tricks and hopefully he could help me express my ideas on the screen. Unfortunately, I haven't had that chance yet.

Twitter @JordanBMZ

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Vekked View Post
    BUT I can't say it's completely black and white, there could be legitimate reasons for a producer/DJ releasing stuff that's not him but in general it's probably rare and in most cases it's not cool.
    I don't think it's as rare as you may think Vekked. Especially with high end DJs who haven't time to sit down and write. And I agree, it's very lame passing something off as your own.

I agree, that sitting down with an engineer to help right is absolutely fine. After all they are the professionals and if you are a DJ you don't exactly have the time to sit down and learn a DAW inside out. That's where the engineer can help you enhance your knowledge through the DAW. If that makes sense.

Twitter @JordanBMZ

Tech Mentor

Soon as I have one dude when the weather is better I will give you a shout. Decks in the garden, bliss!

Definitely not. I like to think I have a lot more pride than to try pass something off as my own. You may get a lot of praise but at the back of your mind there must always be that guilt that you didn't actually have any input in the original track.

I would love the opportunity to sit down with a sound engineer for tips/tricks and hopefully he could help me express my ideas on the screen. Unfortunately, I haven't had that chance yet.
    Yeh id defo want to do something like that, a great way to learn is to shadow people and watch what they do....

I didnt think it would be something you'd do, ive already heard some of your stuff and its pretty good already.

Yeh decks in the garden, sounds a good plan. B2B?

Tech Mentor

Yeh id defo want to do something like that, a great way to learn is to shadow people and watch what they do....

I didnt think it would be something you'd do, ive already heard some of your stuff and its pretty good already.

Yeh decks in the garden, sounds a good plan. B2B?
    Exactly. It's not different that watching videos on youtube. Only difference in this case, is that the tutor is actually in the room.

Thanks dude!

And definitely, can't wait til the weather picks up. Will get the BBQ and speakers out.

Twitter @JordanBMZ

The thread title is misleading.

DJs using 'sound engineers' - Richie Hawtin had used a sound engineer for years who makes sure all the levels and such are right and as loud as they can be without damaging his hears, etc.

A 'producer' using an engineer/paying someone else to make/master/engineer their beats.
    Sorry if this has already been said but I only read the op...
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast