My remix on someone else's EP - Need help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default My remix on someone else's EP - Need help

So I made a remix for this kid, and it is going to be on his new EP. He is wanting to sell his EP for $10...my question is should I get a percentage of each sale? Also he is going to be selling my remix on his EP, but atm I want all of my tracks to be free. I'm really not worried about the money, I just want the chance to gain some followers.

No single answer to this
    in some instances remixers are paid a flat fee
    fat flee + percentage
    percentage

it's a negotiation based on how much exposure you have

Tech Mentor

Well I mean this this kid has no real exposure, and neither do I. I have only made four songs, so I am not ready to sell any of my stuff. And to top it off, I don't even think he was planning on paying me, so I am just trying to gain some insight on the subject before I talk to him about some payment. If he doesn't want to give me anything, then I could just release the song that I made for him as a bootleg, right?

Do you have a contract? Do you have written communication between both parties? How is he selling the remix (on his own or through a distributor)?

I have purchased every remix that people have done for me flat out. Depending on how I think it will sell and how much exposure the artist has. The least I have ever paid is 75 bucks and the most is 350 bucks.

I have remixes I have done on royalty contract.

PM me and I will help you.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    Do you have a contract? Do you have written communication between both parties? How is he selling the remix (on his own or through a distributor)?

I have purchased every remix that people have done for me flat out. Depending on how I think it will sell and how much exposure the artist has. The least I have ever paid is 75 bucks and the most is 350 bucks.

I have remixes I have done on royalty contract.

PM me and I will help you.
    ^^this.

You need a contract...

Tech Mentor

Also, what does only 4 songs have to do with being ready to sell them... If they are good enough they are good enough. Some of the bigger name producers exploded onto the scene with what I would call less than stellar work.

This is business my friend, never give a sniff of a track to anyone without some form a legal documentation to protect both of you in the future. This is your lively hood.. or could easily become it.

Yea.. whats this nonsense of giving people tracks before deciding what to do with it and how it will be put out?
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Mentor

I am an amatuer producer and I'm not sure what I was doing. I was excited because this kid wanted a remix from me. And just for the record, he doesn't have my track yet
    Last edited by Jhamilton831; 04-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhamilton831 View Post
    I am an amatuer producer and I'm not sure what I was doing. I was excited because this kid wanted a remix from me. And just for the record, he doesn't have my track yet...
    if i were u, i wouldn't ask for any royalties. thats just me. it depends who approached who. I make remixes for some of my fav local artists out of sheer respect/enjoyment of their work. if they include it in an EP, id be stoked. and if it gets huge, then even better... but im in no point in my career where Id ask someone for $$ unless THEY came to me for a remix. even then, you gotta look at the platform of the artist. if hes huge, id prolly consider it an honor for him or her to ask me to remix one of their tracks.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    if i were u, i wouldn't ask for any royalties. thats just me. it depends who approached who. I make remixes for some of my fav local artists out of sheer respect/enjoyment of their work. if they include it in an EP, id be stoked. and if it gets huge, then even better... but im in no point in my career where Id ask someone for $$ unless THEY came to me for a remix. even then, you gotta look at the platform of the artist. if hes huge, id prolly consider it an honor for him or her to ask me to remix one of their tracks.
    I cant fully agree with this. For some of us this is a career.. whether it be the start of it or not. If its good enough to be released you deserve compensation for your work.. Period.

I dont work for Charity, I work to pay my bills and feed my kids :P

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast