TRS > XLR Balanced VS TRS > RCA Balanced to Unbalanced (Volume drop)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TRS > XLR Balanced VS TRS > RCA Balanced to Unbalanced (Volume drop)

Hi All,

Here's the scenario.

Previously running 2 x KRK Rokit 6's from my NI Komplete Audio 6 with the following cable connections.

Balanced TRS output on the Audio 6 > Unbalanced RCA on the KRK's (I was using an RCA cable with a TRS jack on the end plugged into the Audio 6, with the RCA end plugged into the KRK)

Received 2 TRS > XLR cables today & switched to them

Now running with the following:

Balanced TRS output on the Audio 6 > Balanced XLR input on the KRK.

I'm noticing a considerable amount of volume LOSS when using the TRS > XLR, purely by switching the cables.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Much appreciated.

J

No idea. How much of a volume loss are you talking about?

I would just readjust the attenuators on each speaker, could just be the way the circuit on the krk amp is. unless it's really quiet. if you have a regular 1/4" trs cable you can try that and it should be exactly the same as using the 1/4" to xlr.

Your previous cable most likely wasn't TRS. Look at the end on the, bet there's only one black or white line just at the seam off the tip. A TRS would have two lines, one at the same seam and another slightly up the sleeve. Additionally do you only have the XLR plugged into the KRK's?
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

I have to turn the volume knob UP on my audio interface over a quarter to match the previous volume.

Strange as I thought the circuit would have been exactly the same.

Thanks for the advice

The previous cable was an RCA cable. Plugged into the RCA unbalanced input on the KRK, with the other end plugged into the balanced output on the Audio 6 (With a RCA > TRS adapter)

Does it make a difference having Balanced > Balanced Vs Balanced > Unbalanced?

RCA is NEVER balanced.

once you got to the RCA input you are unbalanced.
    Last edited by loverocket; 04-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.

What ^ said. The adapter you used may have summed both channels of audio (don't think Left/Right) and sent a hotter signal than desired, now you think the true balanced line is quite.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Wasn't saying RCA is balanced. I'm wandering if it makes a difference in the way they have been routed?

Balanced TRS output > Unbalanced RCA input connection (Via an RCA cable with a TRS adapter on the RCA output end)

Cool. So there's a possibility I'm now hearing the true audio by using the correct cables.

Nice to know!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    What ^ said. The adapter you used may have summed both channels of audio (don't think Left/Right) and sent a hotter signal than desired, now you think the true balanced line is quite.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast