Help with starting to play live shows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Help with starting to play live shows

So I'm pretty confident in myself that I am at the point where I can start djing at events/clubs but I don't really know where to start how to get these type of gigs does anyone care to share with me any advice to help me get out there? Thanks

Here's my soundcloud link if anyone wants to take a listen

www.soundcloud.com/djhyyer

Quote Originally Posted by hyyerr View Post
    So I'm pretty confident in myself that I am at the point where I can start djing at events/clubs but I don't really know where to start how to get these type of gigs does anyone care to share with me any advice to help me get out there? Thanks

Here's my soundcloud link if anyone wants to take a listen

www.soundcloud.com/djhyyer
    tell the manager or promoter you'll play for free for the first gig. And the biggest advice I could give you is.....persistence. Man you got to go back again and again and ask to play, be polite but firm and persistent.

that dubstep mix sounds almost as if you were playing youtube rips...

edit: actually i'm pretty sure that's what you're doing, so if true, forget about gigs, that's wack

Go to the clubs you want to play at and work on meeting the staff, and whoever does the booking.

Your mixes seem pretty good to me (listening to the trap mix right now, diggin' it!)

Hate to say it, but the fact that you're a girl should give you an advantage, too...

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Like johney said don't use anything below a 320kbps mp3 in a club.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Hi

first off, for your style of music... ur not gonna get booked in ur avg club. so go to the clubs that u kno deal with trap/dubstep and frequent them. like a poster said upstairs... some of the scenes are kinda tight, and if u go up to a manger asking to DJ a night and he or she has NEVER seen u before in their club, sometimes its hard to break thru.

If no one is booking u, then throw ur own party. friends basement, empty warehouse, something, and go from there.

also, your trap mix isnt bad ( didnt listen to the rest, jus trap since its only thing im interested in). You could work on a few of ur transitions, and learn when to drop other songs on the down beats, and 4 count measures of songs, but over all not bad.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Sound quality lacking mixing is average for that style nothing too insane honestly though sound quality remove thoose re upload a mp3 encoded at 320 of your set sounds like you've uploaded like a 128k version of your mix. Or you are usuing really low quality mp3 rips

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    Like johney said don't use anything below a 320kbps mp3 in a club.
    Or V0. Don't let anyone tell you that it has lesser audio quality in a practical setting.

There's no magic recipe.

Get involved through and through in your local scene or else get bent.

Get out and network. There are tons of good DJs in LA. Sadly, to get an opportunity, it's about who you know after you get to a certain point skill wise.

I am playing Avalon after hours tonight; I'd be happy to introduce you to some people.
    Last edited by DJ SB; 04-13-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast