VCI-400 XLR vs. 1/4
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-400 XLR vs. 1/4

So I currently have my master outs going through the two rear 1/4" jacks to each of my speakers on my VCI-400. If I were to use XLR cables instead, would there be any difference in sound quality, or are they the same?

Tech Wizard

I did some research and found the answer on this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Balanced audio is a method of interconnecting audio equipment using balanced lines. This type of connection is very important in sound recording and production because it allows for the use of long cables while reducing susceptibility to external noise.
    Meaning that using XLR cables would mitigate interference from other cables.

Tech Wizard

More important for us djs, the xlr cables will reduce the risk of a ground loop (hum) issue when connected to a poorly setup sound system.
    Vestax VCI-400SE EGE | Pioneer DDJ-SX | Numark NS7 | Novation Twitch | Traktor Scratch Pro | Serato DJ | Dj Player iOS | Mixvibes CrossDJ iOS

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by protocol View Post
    So I currently have my master outs going through the two rear 1/4" jacks to each of my speakers on my VCI-400. If I were to use XLR cables instead, would there be any difference in sound quality, or are they the same?
    There is absolutely no difference between balanced 1/4" TRS and balanced XLR other than the shape of the connection.

Edit: Looking at the specs it seems they used unbalanced TS sockets, so for longer cable runs using the XLR connections should help reduce any noise/interference.
    Last edited by makar1; 04-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB