New Setup for DJing/Remixing/Production

Default New Setup for DJing/Remixing/Production

So,

I'm starting to get into remixing, and doing more gigs, and I'm not digging my mixer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Pioneer DJM-3000 (as my wife can attest), but lately it just hasn't been practical, and lacking features I feel I need.

So I'm selling her (the mixer that is, lol) and questing for a replacement.

I've been eyeing the Mackie D.4 Pro, but haven't sen anyone using one, or seen any real reviews. Anybody got any incite on this piece of kit?

I'll be tying it in with an Stanton SCS.1D, a Korg Electribe MX-1, and my Kaoss pad 3. I think that should be a pretty solid setup for DJing/remixing/production work.

Your thoughts guys and gals?
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir

hey

yeah the Mackie looks like a decent unit. What is it exactly that you feel your missing from your 3000, what features would you like, and i'm sure people will be able to give you some other ideas and suggestions to compare.

k

Well, the obvious answer would be the multichannel onboard firewire sound card, lol =) But the more versatile send/return setup for the external FX loop, as well as the smaller footprint are really appealing.
    DJ Neurotique

Berurier Noir

what I like about the D4 is the insert switch for the recording taps. that and the auxes and the filter. and the fact that there is tap on the mains.

I also like the fader midi messages. This is pretty cool you could do triggering of clips in ableton or playback in traktor. If you ever played with the fader cue start function on differant devices you can see the utility in having the fader messages coupled with the recording taps going to post fader.

All and All the D4 looks like a pretty decent tool .. But .. ive read of a few quality problems. which sucks. If you are going to buy one .. get it from a store that will give you extended warranty/insurance etc. Cause Loud/Mackie might just suddenly go out of business. Like any other company right now. IMO
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.

Tech Mentor

Mine arrived yesterday woot woot

I've been using a BCD 2000 for my audio so I have little real audio to compare the Mackie to lolol But what I did notice straight away was the clarity and punch to the sound, and a whole new spectrum to the audio after using the BCD for so long.

Only took a couple of mins to setup with Traktor and timecodes altho the latency setting is a bit odd so I've not messed with it properly yet as I'm reasonably happy with the 5.5ms it set itself. Altho I still can't find the Star DJ button they mention in the manual before they congratulate you and tell you to have a cheese sandwich for actually reading the manual lolol

I plumped for the D4 pro over the Korg zero as I play a lot of digital/vinyl hybrid mixing, after hearing reports of a flat sound from the Korg and the Mackie sales blurb waxing about the quality of the pre amps and VCA design. And I've still got the BCD for midi control so I can do everything I would have been able to do with the extra features of the Korg zero anyway, apart from the sampler as I use Traktor.
    There's some good reviews on the Scratchworx site, I found useful btw.

As you've got midi controllers already, it sounds the ideal choice for you m8. I'd also have a look at soundcard and mixer options like an Audio8 coupled up with a 4 channel mixer, the korg zero8 if you want more channels or ableton mixing, and have a look at the Evo5 if you've got the extra cash.

hth

So,

I did in fact end up with the Mackie D.4 Pro. Have to say that I'm very happy with my purchase. Yes, one LED is already dead.. do I really care, no. When the unit arrived it had a BADLY damaged crossfader. Called LOUD Inc. and the overnighted me a brand new one. No hassle, and really nice customer service.

I know some other people have had bad experiences, but I have to say that I'm quite satisfied with my purchase.
    DJ Neurotique

Berurier Noir