I Need help with crab scratching / 3 click flare
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default I Need help with crab scratching / 3 click flare

hi, i've been DJing for almost 3 years and i still cant crab scratch. i tried and tried for hours and watched some tutorials but nothing helped, i cant get it. I even destroyed my crossfader for it. :/
    i can only scratch with the gater fx on traktor. i can see my crossfader in traktor moving a bit left and right while im tryin' to crab scratch , i can get it this is getting me angry please help.

Depending on what mixer/controller you're using, you need to get accustomed to your xfader's cut-in. Maybe try to tape the ends of the xfader with hard aluminium tape to cope for the long cut in

Tech Wizard

yea ideally you want a fader that goes from full volume to silence in about 2mm or less without any fade, that helps to start... after that it's a matter of isolating each individual note, 1 finger = 1 sound, every single time. But really a crab scratch isn't the be all and end all of scratching, so don't let it get to you if it gives you difficulty. It's not a very controlled scratch and many people over-use it anyways... personally I never crab scratch and scratching is my main focus. Having good chirps/stabs/foundation goes way further than being able to sound like a machine gun, lol.
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

Tech Mentor

I agree with all the comments above. A short cut-in time would help for sure but the most important thing is to start slowly to have clear defined notes. You can practice anywhere just practice the motion with your fingers. Try to twiddle first (crab with only 2 fingers) then move to 3 and even 4.

What's the latency like on your midi crossfader?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

i couldn't crab till switched my xfader to "hamster". it made a huge difference for me i think because of my wrist position that i have become accustomed to and also my thumb elasticity is not the greatest.

Excercise your fingers on both hands. Tap all four of your finers against your thumb in sequence whenever you get a chance repetitively. This will help to develop muscle memory.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Practice makes perfect, I pretty much "air crabbed" when watching TV or not doing anything with that hand. Then one day, it all just fell into place. Also, I'd recommend checking the pressure of your thumb when 'returning' the fader to your fingers. For ages I was pushing too hard so I couldn't get the crab to flow properly.

Again... practice!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

you probably have too much resistance on your thumb and are tying to do it all with your fingers... learn the one click flare so you thumb and fingers work together, then the two click flare and finally crabs. It's all muscle memory after the first couple of months, starting from the start will give you the right technique before you learn muscle memory for crabs. Once you have muscle memory locked in, even if it is incorrect it is really hard to change. But that also means once you can do it correctly it's there forever.

A good loose crossfader is essential though, all of the reloop controllers have great crossfaders, I had a Jockey 2 and 3 that I raped for a year each and they never wore out. Saying that I assume the stanton DJC4, VOXOA C60 etc.. have good crossfaders as they are made by the same manufacturer. Mixtrack, S2/4, VCI-400, DDJ-T1/S2, ergo etc... faders all suck for scratching.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    What's the latency like on your midi crossfader?
    this is super important. Lowest possible latency will help a lot. Idealy you would want to learn on an external mixer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast