What makes a DJ famous?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What makes a DJ famous?

Yo,

I was just wondering what makes a DJ famous?

I've noticed there a plenty of tech wizards on this forum that seem to know A LOT about DJing/Producing etc, but what is the major difference between someone with a ton of knowledge and skill and those who headline festivals globally?

Do they have awesome skills? Or is it just their image and creativity? Or a mixture?

What is it with well broad questions on the forums today?

Broader than Broadway...

Lot's of hard work. Producing tracks that go global... luck, etc etc.

There's a post on it that's on the front page of this site:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/08/2...sfull-dj-pt-1/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

The difference is making stuff. Constantly making stuff.

In order to make good tracks, you have to make a lot (a LOT) or crap and sift through it for the gems. The ability to come up with twenty new basslines, find new textures and sounds, save them off for later, pick them up when they're needed, create and catalog new beats and use them at just the right time.

To produce well or to DJ well, you have to be a constant firehose of new ideas, and not get too attached to any particular one. I just don't have the energy or spare time, but I have tasted what it's like to do that. A bit like an olympic athlete, you have to do it every day and push yourself beyond the norm, so that when you have to do it in public the basics are second nature and almost boring to execute, and you get to use your creative energy to add the extra sparkle on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    The difference is making stuff. Constantly making stuff.

In order to make good tracks, you have to make a lot (a LOT) or crap and sift through it for the gems. The ability to come up with twenty new basslines, find new textures and sounds, save them off for later, pick them up when they're needed, create and catalog new beats and use them at just the right time.

To produce well or to DJ well, you have to be a constant firehose of new ideas, and not get too attached to any particular one. I just don't have the energy or spare time, but I have tasted what it's like to do that. A bit like an olympic athlete, you have to do it every day and push yourself beyond the norm, so that when you have to do it in public the basics are second nature and almost boring to execute, and you get to use your creative energy to add the extra sparkle on top.
    Excellent answer, music production gets your name known around the globe, Producers have to put a lot of energy in creation, promotion and distribution of the material. Having a label to help you with that is the next step. Getting your tracks played by famos djs would be another step, finally getting requested to perform your stuff live would be a mayor step.

I donīt think that you can be famous for just djing, you can hate me because of this but it would be TOO EASY... your tracks have to be hitting big numbers also.

A good advice if you want yourself being recognized you have to start locally, for that you have to be on the spot. Need to go to the gigs were the locals hang at, talking with people, getting yourself noticed is a big part of the whole thing. Networking is essential in order to bring people to your gigs and distribute your music.

This are just random ideas of all the hard work involved a side of spending nights and nights without sleep creating tracks mixing, remixing, and mixing again.

Conclusion to what makes a dj famous:

A LOT of HARD WORK + Contacts + Talent + Luck

Tech Wizard

sounds good to me,

I guess I need to start producing Do you think that you need an education background in music production (ie professionally trained) to become very good?

OR can self perseverance and playing around with software for copious amounts of time be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by moomentum View Post
    sounds good to me,

I guess I need to start producing Do you think that you need an education background in music production (ie professionally trained) to become very good?

OR can self perseverance and playing around with software for copious amounts of time be sufficient?
    the more knowledge you have of music, the better. read everything and anything pertaining to music theory. listen to music you love, see what makes it click. hear it with a critical ear rather than just listening for enjoyment.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

yeah probably over the past few years i've learned to appreciated music by critiquing it through listening to it and breaking up all of the different levels of the song.. i guess that give you more insight into the layering and sounds being created

Tech Guru

to add to what other have said about the requirements to be a superstar dj (ie luck,talent,hardwork,networking,marketing saavy) .... People who get into the art/entertainment business for the soul purpose of becoming famous are the ones who never attain that goal. Because if fame is what you want then you'll never have enough steam to push you forward through the dark times, the blood sweat and tears of it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uwk4...om=PL&index=15

do you love the craft, or do you love the fantasy?

Most big name dj's that I know are all Hype. If you want to become famous I would say to get into production or remixing know tracks. Hit blogs up with your track, and next thing you know, you will be hit up to do gigs
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    do you love the craft, or do you love the fantasy?
    By loving the craft, you will be instinctively love the fantasy... People are motivated by different factors, however a majority of people are motivated by the recognition that they receive for all of their hard work/effort.

So people who have a true passion for DJing don't just DJ for themselves, they DJ to gain recognition and spread their craft with other people..

To be honest, I think a lot of recognition comes with hype and a person's image.. thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast