I have no idea how to start djing. Need advice or help please!

Default I have no idea how to start djing. Need advice or help please!

I've been a musician for ten years and producing music in ableton and logic for 5 years and I know my way around both programs very well. I've recently been entertaining the idea of doing some djing, but I have no idea what equipment I need or if I even need equipment to practice or what? I have friends who Dj but it seems like each one of them uses something different. What would you guys recommend I do to get started? I'm super confused. Thanks again for any help or advice. Much appreciated.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can do it all with just a computer keyboard, It's easiest to start with an all in one controller like the S2 or VCI-400 thgough. Since you're comfortable with Ableton you could use something like an APC or maybe that new Push.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Mate - you're gonna find it DEAD EASY to translate your skills to DJ'ing, since you'll already understand the structure of music (you'll hear the term "phrasing" thrown about a lot here).

Ableton Live is AWESOME for DJing with. Since you are already producing, you may have some controllers around you already. Tell us what you've got and I'll tell you how/what to map to get you going.

You can create some amazing DJ'ing templates in Live. Live's routing allows for looping/sampling/FX manipulation that is just not possible in other DJ software.

Ableton is AWESOME for DJ'ing with. Absolutely AWESOME.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Don't listen to any of them. Everyone here knows you need two turntables and a battle mixer to be a proper DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Don't listen to any of them. Everyone here knows you need two turntables and a battle mixer to be a proper DJ
    VINYL ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Thanks for the replies! Patch- I would really appreciate those templates for ableton, and any way to get started. Videos? Or a Skype lesson perhaps?

I was thinking about getting a launchpad or apc40. Anyone else have a good streamlined workflow for beginners?