Hawtin Laptop Goes Down --- No back up? - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    I agree with this in some respect. But my point was how he reacted about it. Granted, it was when I was a lot younger and beginning with promoting and had not come up with these type of issues, but throwing a paddy is not the way I'd go about it.

My MAIN point being, you can DJ perfectly fine without the use of monitors. Just use your headphones! That's my point.
    He was probably fuming about having to travel a few hundred miles, ending up with sound system that didn't work properly and sacrificing the possibility of playing 2 or 3 gigs in the same night elsewhere

I for one NEVER enjoy a gig where there are no monitors, and no, I will not play live as well without them - sure no problem at home when everything outside is all quiet, or even if I'm a resident and know the way things sound without them and how to compensate. But in a club playing for the first time without them I'd be a grumpy boy very fast.

But I'm not a big enough name to have a contract stating that I'll walk away if the equipment I need isn't provided.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    He does a good bit of looping but it's definitely not "mostly looping" like you are describing. You can usually hear good sections of full tracks playing out. Loops and maschine are just a little spice added on top.

People always seem to overstate just how much looping he does and he does do a good bit of A-B mixing, just watch his boiler room sets...
    And I will just add -- as I'm way late to this thread -- but I was there, both nights. I was pissed to be honest, not because I didn't get to see him (I did - the next night), but because 1) I missed other sets I wanted to see to get into the Yuma tent early because the lines the previous day were a joke, and 2) no one said a thing. Literally. We were waiting around listening to Cassey (who was awesome, but oddly doesn't move. Like .. almost at all. Weirdest thing I've ever seen for a DJ to just not move) and 30 minutes past Hawtin's set time, we asked the security/sound guys in the back who all just said "oh, he's supposed to be on soon, don't worry". BS. Finally after an hour we left to move on elsewhere still not knowing why he didn't play until the next day when Coachella announced that he had an hour slot the next night - which conflicted with other stuff that I would have wanted to see. It was frustrating because I left the Heiniken Dome from an awesome DJ Sneak & Doc Martin B2B set (which was insane btw - they had 4 CDJ's connected to two separate DJM-900's, so each was playing at least one or more tracks at the same time giving each other hand signals of when they were going to drop the bass, etc. It was awesome to watch) to run over and wait in a huge line to get in to see Hawtin for only like 35 minutes because he only had an hour set - he was given time by Maya Jane Coles, Loco Dice, and Jamie Jones.

To get to the point - I was standing sort of next to and under the booth and could see his traktor computer screen clearly (well, from like 25 feet away). He was basically playing A --> B the whole way with C/D set up as loops that ran for long periods of time. Being below him it was impossible to know which loops he had actually playing (audibly I mean), but one was looping for at least 15 minutes that I saw nonstop. On the plus side, the tent/dome they had him in sounded AMAZING. It was great, by far the best sound in the venue - much better than the Sahara tent where all the EDM guys were. Such a good set up for that venue, and the fact that there was AC was key. I had ear plugs in - it was too loud I would say for anyone over 24 years old, but nevertheless, it was done very well. Here's some video that I took of DJ Sneak/Doc Martin and Hawtin. My phone was dying so I had to keep them short...

I should have added - the last picture I attached is of DJ Dan smiling at me from behind the decks, wearing a Sneak House Gangster bandanna. Pretty awesome. Dan came on after Mike Balance, who was pretty damn good himself. He was nice enough to chat with me a bit after I got excited when he played Wink & Lil' Louis' "How's Your Evening So Far."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vandalus; 04-18-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added DJ Dan
    http://www.mixcloud.com/CalBearister/
    Technics 1200-MK2; DJM-850; Maschine

Tech Wizard

Should've used his cube

He's such a moron sometimes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tech Mentor

From the sets i've seen and heard of Hawtin, his mixing is pretty ordinary, taking in consideration the equipment he uses
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Tech Guru

I think that people really overrate Richie Hawtin's technical capacities sometimes. He doesn't do that much and to be honest, he doesn't need to. As long as he's making the music interesting and fun to listen and dance to, it's all good. Sometimes that one extra loop is what makes the set good because, let's face it, minimal techno and tech house are good genres, but get really boring if you're only listening to single tracks.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011