A new genre born every day... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    And what about Nü Neo New Neuer Nova Nueva Wave?
    I think you need a few more "new" terms in there before you get ahead of beatport and catch up to the underground.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

I heard some awesome things about this new genre called Nu Under Hipnotic Toad Main Room Glitch Technopsytrap!

However, its so 2014 that you may not have heard of it yet.

the term "post" is way to mainstream. me being a hip boy gonna go with "pre-" from now on!

because it was there before it was cool!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

One of the reasons i loathe to purchase anything from beatport (that and like an extra £4.50 for wav? Ever heard of bandcamp, or CDs? You will do when amazon buy you out, you robbing cunts! /rant) is their ridiculous genres.

I'm really supposed to know about this stuff, i get called out all the time. I only learned what "trap" was about 2 weeks ago, and that's only because somebody told me i was playing it...if it's got sexy bass i'll play it.

In the music scene at the moment, at least how i'm seeing it, there is an amazing amount of cross-genre work and really unexpected music being widely accepted, on popular radio you have the likes of Jamie XX or SBTRKT playing along side The Black Keys or Jake Bugg, one extremely new sound, another that could have been recorded in the 60's/70's and all up and down the spectrum people are taking more musical influence, easily and unashamedly, thanks to our Remix Culture, which i think is fantastic.

The problem is, people try to rationalise why they like stuff and pigeon-hole it and make these stupid fucking genres so they can explain to other people what exactly it is they like and why it makes them awesome and different.

Beatport are a massive enforcer of this idiot culture, make a new genre, plug it, whack a few strong releases out and call them this genre, then flood the market with shit and know the idiots will snap it all up.
    Last edited by Maxted; 04-16-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, Beatports Fault.

Maybe , but I don't think "glo-fi" is getting anywhere anytime soon
    Traktor Kontrol S2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Akai APC40 :: 17" Acer
    Check out our new "D.O.D - What Time?" Remix! : http://snd.sc/1bvF1xf

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
    I heard some awesome things about this new genre called Nu Under Hipnotic Toad Main Room Glitch Technopsytrap!

However, its so 2014 that you may not have heard of it yet.
    Psychedelic Tecno Nu Skool Chilled Trapstep is on the rise!
    Traktor Kontrol S2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Akai APC40 :: 17" Acer
    Check out our new "D.O.D - What Time?" Remix! : http://snd.sc/1bvF1xf

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Just had to Google them. If "noise" was a category, they'd go in there :P But their music seems slow (90bpm maybe?) so I guess R'n'B. Same as Deep House and all of that dren.
    You had to google Boards of Canada?

Where does drum and bass/jungle fit into your world of genres?

Tech Guru

Just had to Google them. If "noise" was a category, they'd go in there :P But their music seems slow (90bpm maybe?) so I guess R'n'B. Same as Deep House and all of that dren.
    Wow.

I think you're missing a fundamental point (well, more than one...), but BPM does not define genre.

Culture, influences and a definable mood, outlook is what makes a genre.

Oh for the love of Christ...

"Melancholic House" is the most irritating of the ones I've listened to so far. Should be called "Emo R'n'B".

If you ask me, there's only 3 genres of (electronic) music; Trance (> 128bpm), Commercial (128bpm) and R'n'B (< 128bpm).

EDIT: At least we can now categorize Random Access Memories as "Neo New Wave".
    Where does techno and tech house fit?
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    the term "post" is way to mainstream. me being a hip boy gonna go with "pre-" from now on!

because it was there before it was cool!
    I immediately want to punch people when they describe their taste in music as "post" anything. I hate that word when describing genres...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast