High Quality Audio Files
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default High Quality Audio Files

Hey guys,

First if all I wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help you have given me.

Let's say your going through soundcloud and you find a new track. It's available for free download but I'm assuming that's not going to be the best quality file. If you can't find the track elsewhere does anyone have any suggestions on using the track? How do I know if the mp3 is 128 or 320?

Thanks again

Stick it in Winamp (people still use that!) and it'll tell you just below the volume bit in kbps. If it fluctuates, its in VBR. It might also be 256 amongst other compression rates.

Tech Convert

Thank you. Will Winamp run on a Mac?
    Austin Thompson
    Bachelors of Music, Louisiana State University, 2008-13
    Masters of Music Industry, Troy University, 2013-15
    Dinobrawl
    Traktor Z2 / MacBook Pro

you can look at the filesize.

or if you're on windows right click>properties>details

Hes on mac. But in your dj software you should be able to see what the KBPS is. Soundcloud itself does tend to compress tunes. Ive noticed this from using soundcloud to download my own tunes when I forgot them at home. Waveforms have clipping after downloaded back from soundcloud.

Best thing to do is contact the original artist bruv. Most kats have no problem sending you a .wav or 320.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by trueartinspires View Post
    Hey guys,

First if all I wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help you have given me.

Let's say your going through soundcloud and you find a new track. It's available for free download but I'm assuming that's not going to be the best quality file. If you can't find the track elsewhere does anyone have any suggestions on using the track? How do I know if the mp3 is 128 or 320?

Thanks again
    You can use VLC for this. Available on Mac and PC.

Just play the track in VLC and open the "Media Information" screen. It will show you the real-time stream data rate for the track you are playing.

Here is screenshot.
    http://d.pr/i/n0n3

I think soundcloud streams at 192 or 128 but it's re-encoded from the original.

So if they upload a wav, thats what you download.

But can't you just click properties to see the bit-rate
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    I think soundcloud streams at 192 or 128 but it's re-encoded from the original.

So if they upload a wav, thats what you download.

But can't you just click properties to see the bit-rate
    That's only for streaming.

iTunes displays bitrate, you just have to enable the column.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    iTunes displays bitrate, you just have to enable the column.
    That will show you what the file's bitrate claims to be.

For example:
    You rip an track in lossless quality from a CD. Then you compress to 320kbps. You will have a true 320kbps bitrate track.

Now if some one transcodes a 192kbps (CBR) to FLAC format, it is basically a lossy to lossless transcode, which is bad.

The file will claim its, let's say 320kbps or higher, but won't really be a "high-quality" audio file. Source file was a 192kbps.

the only real way to find out, is to open the track in a application that let's you look at the spectrum analysis to see where the frequencies start falling off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast