on the fence about my next investment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default on the fence about my next investment

so currently im just using live 9 and a 49key midi controller by m-audio and my laptop to do productions, im fairly novice, and want to advance further with some new hard ware. i feel like i should be getting an apc40 because im so adjusted to ableton live, but am concerned that i will miss out on the 'art' of djing if i take that rout... keeping in mind im primarly concerned about having a good time producing music i enjoy and doing sound design witch i love to do.

some other thoughts that have been bouncing around are...

MPK25- i feel like my creative proccess would flow better having pats and the assignable knobs available, it would also help me learn more real time creativity. its also reasonable portable and i go to LOTS of festivals and always feel the most inspired right afer a see a show but never have any gear with my to play with.

s4- start learning how to actually mix and be able to play shows, knowing how to mix on other equipment if i did have an apc with me for whatever reason. the only downside is im a broke-ish college kid and dont wanna drop thst kinda money.

start buying a mixer and turn table and slowly accumulate a set up

..or maybe im just over thinking this, and should just get something and start jammming out!!

thanks

Tech Guru

No need for an S4 if you just want to learn how to mix. Have you had a look at some of the simpler 2 deck controllers out there?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    No need for an S4 if you just want to learn how to mix. Have you had a look at some of the simpler 2 deck controllers out there?
    this

i learned how to mix using VDJ and a keyboard. It was terrible, but then I just bought a mixtrack pro and used serato light or whatever, and THEN i bought an S4 and now I don't even use an S4, just a mixer and two midi fighters. start out cheap man.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Wizard

how are you mixing using a mixer and 2 midi fighters? sorry for my ignorance my mid is so one dimensional in the sense that all i do isableton and synth stuff

Quote Originally Posted by LemonSkunk View Post
    how are you mixing using a mixer and 2 midi fighters? sorry for my ignorance my mid is so one dimensional in the sense that all i do isableton and synth stuff
    no need for apologies. most of us here on DJTT are friendly. some are trolls tho haha.

theres a sweet vid of Ean.

All of my sets are prepared with multiple hot cues so thats all I need. Thats only if Im doing a performance...

If im DJing a club, I bring my traktor.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Wizard

oh okay thats whats up man, so its basically working that same way you might use an F1 controller?

Tech Wizard

Have you looked at a xone K2 and a launchpad setup? It is usb powered so you could use it at any festival campground till with a roland Ba-330 without needing power. Well except till your battery dies on your comp X/ but super portable setup

Tech Wizard

never even thought about using a xone K2, but with a launch pad like with an apc, and use the K2 the same way you might use a midi fighter or anF1?

Tech Wizard

couldnt i use a f1 in the same way?

Tech Wizard

yea but you get 128 buttons across the 3 dedicated pages built into the k2 plus a 4 channel soundcard built into the unit. I know the F1 doesn't have that. I use mine as a total controller for traktor as a mixer, effect unit along with the lauchpad as a total controller for transport, effects , loops , and hot cues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast