OT: Myspace layout suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Myspace layout suggestions

First off, if you didn't guess I'm talking about the Myspace page I use for my dj/production stuff, not my personal one.

There's nothing worse than a poorly designed website. Except maybe a cliche, cookie-cutter site design.

Basically, my Myspace looks like somebody did it with their eyes closed, and I really need something to make it look a little more presentable. However, I don't want to go to some website and just pick out of a big list of presets, because that's obviously just as bad as some awful design that I did myself.

So, where can I go to get some good layouts? I mean like some cool, unique backgrounds. I need to make it look semi-professional and presentable. Even if I can just find a nice image to use as the background, I can sort out a color scheme and go from there.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Oh, and if you want a good laugh, the link to my Myspace is below...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

+1
    cause when I search for something like "great myspace layouts" I get a ton of garbage websites. My current page has the default formatting. A few pointers on this from DJs would be greatly appreciated.

learn html and css
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

if your short on time and want to make a flash layout. check out

www.lovemyflash.com/
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

it's really your personal preference. some people like the ultra simple design layout, and some people like the in your face graphics in every nook and cranny of the site. What's important to remember is that people aren't visiting your myspace to checkout the design of the page, they're there to checkout your work and comment/message you.

I'm in the simple design preference boat, I'd rather my page load up quickly yet also be presentable without detracting from the purpose of the page which is; listen to my work! Choose an attractive colour scheme, and if you use a background image make sure it's very basic and doesn't draw attention away from the information/links on your page. I've seen many "pro" looking pages make this mistake; super eye catching background that makes the font difficult to read and the links to their work difficult to find.... communication is key in design, so make sure whatever layout you choose that it doesn't overshadow what your trying to communicate.

my honest opinion is the look of your myspace is fine. focus your energies on what really counts like building and maintaining your network within myspace and creating more work to share via myspace.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 09-03-2009 at 02:35 AM.

^^^
    I know, but I guess I just tweak out about having a decent looking page. There's nothing worse than a Myspace (or any website, really), that looks like it was put together in ten minutes.

Any advice for building my network on Myspace? I don't want to go around and just add random people. People hate it when people do that.

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    learn html and css
    Lol, I learned html when I was like 12. Just because you know how to do something, doesn't mean that you're good at practical uses for it, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Lambox; 09-03-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    ^^^
    I know, but I guess I just tweak out about having a decent looking page. There's nothing worse than a Myspace (or any website, really), that looks like it was put together in ten minutes.

Any advice for building my network on Myspace? I don't want to go around and just add random people. People hate it when people do that.

haha buddy i think you'r myspace game maybe suffering from your own misconceptions about the site and how and why people use it.

trust me some of the most influential djs in the game have some of the most basic myspace pages you'll find.

http://www.myspace.com/dksolidsteel

http://www.myspace.com/strictlykev

http://www.myspace.com/coldcut

http://www.myspace.com/diplo

See all these cats are MASSIVE, yet they don't need to rely on sugar icing to have succesful pages because their pages serve as utilitarian purposes first and foremost. Show the Music, Show the Events, Easy to read letters and easy to find links, everything easy access for their friends/fans.

As far as networking goes, I'm writing something for the blog that will touch on this topic- so long as nobody else writes it before me haha. tings been a little crazy lately so hopefully that'll get done sooner than later.

Alright for sure, certainly the music comes first and foremost, I know. I'll be waiting for that blog tho.

Check your myspace messages btw...
    LamboxMusic.com

if you like a simple layout check out mine. What I did was set the myspace background color first, then took a screenshot and using a color picker in paint I matched my pic's colors to the background
    http://www.myspace.com/300998
    Last edited by kaleaf; 09-04-2009 at 04:28 AM.

"I mean like some cool, unique backgrounds." Well if you like smth unique, you'll have to create it by yourself. But don't worry and don't invest too much time, just present your information clearly... try to impress people with things your're already good at, so you get memorized. Jesc's link is a good start if your not into the whole design/photoshop/css stuff.
    Last edited by Chris Marx; 09-03-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast