What genres do you mix?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What genres do you mix?

Just to see where everyone stands what genres so all of you mix and how did everyone fond "their sound"? Always awesome to hear others stories.

my cousin's bf at the time told me he plays dubstep 3-4 years ago and i was like... what's that? so he passed me this

and it kinda went from there, listening then dabbling with producing and then playing with virtual DJ, i grasped the basics of djing on that, and got to try out the real thing almost a year ago, tried playing on cdjs thanks to a m8, got an opening slot a few weeks later, and i'm playing here and there since then, nothing big.
    I also try to spin a bit of vinyl, but it's kinda hard cause i have nowehere to practice except in the club given i don't have turntables

then i kinda got into the hip hoppy stuff like om unit & co. thanks to this EP, but i was still just mainly playing dubstep

i slowly got into dnb too, especially junglish bits, the dark critical type stuff and autonomic and i played my first purely dnb set
    some time earlier this year and now i'm basically playing a bit of all three with some UK Funky ish and housey stuff thrown in too.

I mostly mix Minimal and Deep House
    When I was 14 yo, 7 years ago, I started mixing trance, but then, I switched to minimal, thanks to a friend that's PR from Barraca Music, then I did some gigs there and at Pacha in Valencia (Spain) some years ago, but when I moved to Dominican Republic the last year, I just mix and play at my room, because people here, use to listen "pop" and "reggaeton" and I really can't stand that genres :c, specially the "reggaeton", I hate it D:
    (2) Kontrol F1 - Kontrol S2 - (2) Technichs SL1210 mk2 - Maschine Mikro MK2 - Akai APC 20 - Midi Fighter Spectra - RMX 1000 - (2) Rokkit 6 - Gemini DJX05 - Kontrol Z2 - (2) Kontrol X1 MK2

I just started DJing about 5 monthes ago and probably went the hardest route possible. I like such a huge variety of music that I have been trying to learn to mix genres as smoothly as possible. I was actually really excited with the latest DJTT article on mixing different BPMs.

Tech Guru

I started playing in a heavy metal bar of a family friend when i was 15, always liked a lot of other stuff from a young age, ended up meeting people and getting into dub reggae, then playing alot of jungle and dnb. Now i play pretty much all bass music.

Some of the mixes that helped me find "my sound" in here: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=70273

slammy house and slammy trance.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I started playing around with virtual DJ when I was about 17 after getting into deep house/house though I've always listened to a lot of different music, my music taste/collection expanded quite rapidly after that.
    That was 4 years ago, these days I try to play a wide range of music, really depends who I'm playing for. House, garage, drum and bass, breaks, bassline, electro-swing/gypsy music, and a lot of stuff which i guess people are calling "bass music".

Nu Disco, Deep House mostly groovy funky stuff. Gets to the soul.

That and then Electro when I feel like rocking out.
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

I started off doing mobile gigs (weddings, corporate stuff) almost 10 years ago, taking over for my boss so he could move into the event production side of things. That translated into top 40 gigs at local bars. Started doing less mainstream stuff and moved into mashups and dubstep about 4 years ago. Lately I've been setting up "edm" events and spinning mostly trap and electro-house. Still do enough weddings and mobiles that my disco, 80's, and classic rock collections aren't gathering dust.

To answer op, I suppose I can mix just about anything, and often do.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Wizard

Mix some house/deep house/ tech house, but I like to stick to electro, dubstep, trap, and moombahton Even some dnb here and there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast