The Best Mixes

Thread: The Best Mixes

Tech Guru

Default The Best Mixes

I've found the more i DJ myself, the less i've been listening to other peoples mixes, lately i've been digging out some oldies as i've been doing my thesis and sticking on mixes, got me thinking about how some of these mixes help shaped (or cement) my tastes.

What are your absolute favourite mixes, mixes that you feel essentially helped define your own sound and opened you up to new music, that you think EVERYBODY should hear?

For me:

^ At a push this would be my favourite mix of all time, some of the similar era stuff (Freestyle Files, check em out if you haven't!) comes close, but this just melds together beautiful ambient vibes across deep hiphop up to dnb territory, just killer.

Not particularly old and quite new to me, a friend showed me this when i confessed my lack of techno knowledge, still blows me away every time and really made me appreciate the detroit sound.

Massively important mix for me, this was my simultaneous introduction to old school hip hop and jungle, still to this day i don't know how i ended up finding this on my own aged 11 (and loving it, but then again i was also listening to infected mushroom and shpongle then).

This ones split into parts on youtube, but 100% worth clicking through, this cemented my love of UK Hiphop, i always liked it but this made me love it.

Loved Herbaliser from quite a young age, think i saw a video for a track off Take London when i was like 10/11, this mix, when i was about 16 i guess, turned me on to a lot of people. (RJD2 namely, opening up that whole american MhZ side of hiphop).

Last but definitely not least, the DJ of probably my favourite band ever, one of the best put together sets ever in my opinion.

Obvious i have hundreds of mixes i love for various reasons, but these are my "desert island" mixes, ones i'd reccomend to ANYONE.

Look forward to hearing from you guys! Every time someone shows me a mix i like, it usually opens up at least a new artist/label and sends me off on a musical journey of my own, that's why we bother recording 'em aint it?!

I've always been a huge fan of Hobo's productions. I have listened to his mixes before but this is no doubt his best.

This is his new track incise. It's F***ing insane the groove and the lead synth just makes it my track of the year.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Guru

A copy of Sasha's G-Spot and Universe mixtapes, the early Essential Mixes in 93/94 and Renaissance Mix Collection Vol 1 had huge impact on me. Still give them a rinse out from time to time now
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Paul Oakenfold - A Voyage Into Trance, from 1995

And Sasha & John Digweed "Communicate" from 2000. Still one of my fav mix cd's
    Last edited by Jester; 04-17-2013 at 03:12 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Awesome mix Jes.

Mine would be Sasha's Global Underground 13 - Ibiza.

MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Awesome mix Jes.

Mine would be Sasha's Global Underground 13 - Ibiza.

Definitely, GU09 - San Francisco also superb I reckon.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Guru

That Hobo track is quality, gonna get on that.