Low Input Scratch Pro 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Low Input Scratch Pro 2.

Hey guys wondering if anybody can help, i've had a google and searched about but i think it's better to just ask as i read mixed stuff.

I've just upgraded to scratch pro 2.

I'm using two 1210's, Audio 8.

When i attempt to calibrate the decks 9/10 times it says "Unknown Medium - Low Input", some times it works but usually loses track again pretty quickly.

Now i'm using pretty shitty carts/stylus (battered stanton 500's), and my tables aren't perfectly even, but records sound fine.

No problems with grounding, as records are fine (Grounded to A8 anyway). Tracking weights on 3.5 and 3.3 (I have mismatched headshells), antiskate 3.

Is the input to the adc just THAT low?

I've played on even more ghetto setups than mine using serato and never had this problem.

If it's the carts, not a massive deal as i'm getting some m44's anyway once i got the cash. (For a stop-gap, would these work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350397205578 ?)

And one last question, i bought the A8 second hand on ebay - the "Input Mode" button doesn't have the same click (or appear to actually do anything, leds don't change) as the Source and Mic/Line, but is this just because scratch 2 doesn't allow input switching outside of preferences? If not i've been jipped a bit.

Cheers

Tech Guru

Does normal vinyl music sound good going through Traktor's decks set to Live Input?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    Hey guys wondering if anybody can help, i've had a google and searched about but i think it's better to just ask as i read mixed stuff.

I've just upgraded to scratch pro 2.

I'm using two 1210's, Audio 8.

When i attempt to calibrate the decks 9/10 times it says "Unknown Medium - Low Input", some times it works but usually loses track again pretty quickly.

Now i'm using pretty shitty carts/stylus (battered stanton 500's), and my tables aren't perfectly even, but records sound fine.

No problems with grounding, as records are fine (Grounded to A8 anyway). Tracking weights on 3.5 and 3.3 (I have mismatched headshells), antiskate 3.

Is the input to the adc just THAT low?

I've played on even more ghetto setups than mine using serato and never had this problem.

If it's the carts, not a massive deal as i'm getting some m44's anyway once i got the cash. (For a stop-gap, would these work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350397205578 ?)

And one last question, i bought the A8 second hand on ebay - the "Input Mode" button doesn't have the same click (or appear to actually do anything, leds don't change) as the Source and Mic/Line, but is this just because scratch 2 doesn't allow input switching outside of preferences? If not i've been jipped a bit.

Cheers
    Does the unknown medium thing occur on both decks?

Have you tried grounding the tables to the mixer and not the A8?

Have you checked the contacts on the needles/inside the tonearm? If not and they look a bit grubby then you should clean them.

The input mode button doesn't work unless changed in preferences, I can't remember where as I never use it. But there is a way for the button to work.

What mixer do you have?

Those needles would be ok as a temporary options, but they're diamond shapes so they're going to cut through your vinyl pretty quick, I'd just wait and save the money for the Shures if I were you.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

In your soundcard control panel is each channel set to phono?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Does normal vinyl music sound good going through Traktor's decks set to Live Input?
    Extremely weak input, had to have full gain on mixer and my studio soundcard (which feeds my monitors) to even hear it.

Does the unknown medium thing occur on both decks?
    Yeah, intermittently with neither one being worse, the signal when it does get one barely lasts 10 seconds.

Have you tried grounding the tables to the mixer and not the A8?
    Yup, they were grounded to the mixer when i first tried it, thought A8 might change but hasn't.

Have you checked the contacts on the needles/inside the tonearm?
    All clean, my needles and carts are battered (very noisy) but signal strength wise they perform perfectly with records.

What mixer do you have?
    I'm using a really shitty old Ecler thing i picked up for free, again works perfectly with records/line inputs though. The timecode doesn't touch the mixer anyway does it?

In your soundcard control panel is each channel set to phono?
    Yeah.

Could the ADCs be fucked?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    Extremely weak input, had to have full gain on mixer and my studio soundcard (which feeds my monitors) to even hear it.

Yeah, intermittently with neither one being worse, the signal when it does get one barely lasts 10 seconds.

Yup, they were grounded to the mixer when i first tried it, thought A8 might change but hasn't.

All clean, my needles and carts are battered (very noisy) but signal strength wise they perform perfectly with records.

I'm using a really shitty old Ecler thing i picked up for free, again works perfectly with records/line inputs though. The timecode doesn't touch the mixer anyway does it?
    Yeah.

Could the ADCs be fucked?
    Is it possible to try the mixer with a different sound card?

If I were you, I'd take the A8 to a music shop and try it on one of their mixers to see if you get the same results. If so, get onto Paypal and get a refund.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Which inputs are you using on the Audio 8? Only 2 inputs have phono preamps on.

Does line level stuff sound ok through the A8? (CDs, MP3 players etc)
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Good point.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    Is it possible to try the mixer with a different sound card?
    I could, i could run my monitors straight off the A8, but it's a pain.

I can always try it on a friends setup, only got delivered 2 days ago so i could open ebay dispute no problem.

1/2 & 3/4.

I'll try something through line now.

Just to clarify, you have got the audio 8 set up properly yeah?

Run through that to make sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast