I can get a xone:4D for 1070$. Should I? (Rookie DJ)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default I can get a xone:4D for 1070$. Should I? (Rookie DJ)

Hi all

This is my first post but I have been lurking around here for a while

I have been bedroom-djing for a while on my Hercules RMX and got quite sucked into the whole thing. I had to kind of take a brake because university took its toll on my free time. Anyways, as graduation is nearing, I am preparing to get back into the whole thing. Actually, I want to take it to the next level and, at some point, try to get some gigs.

So I need a new controller for Traktor. After reading a shitton of information and reviews on controllers and stuff, I have narrowed down my selection to the VCI-400, the Pioneer DDJ-T1 and the Denon DN-MC6000. Considering the S2/S4 too...

Turns out I could probably get a used Xone4D for 1050$, including a Zomo Flightcase. I figure the price is quite good as it costs only marginally more than the above mentioned controllers.
    However, I am aware that this is very much high-end equipment and its probably overkill for someone with my skills...

But the real issue is that I'm concerned with the age of this monster. It's been released 5 years ago and tech has since moved on. I guess the mixer is probably still topnotch, but the controller features are probably dated. Also, this thing completley lacks labels on the buttons, which sucks.

I just feel uncomfortable shedding such an amount of money for equipment that was designed in 2007, and not even for specific use with traktor...
    Any thoughts/good advice for me?

Thank you!

You could always get overlays for the buttons on the 4d. Also realize the 4d was probably made in the UK and not China or Japan. The only downsides I would see is the 4d is going to be bulkier/heavier vs say an S4 and there is no warranty for it.

I had one until a few weeks ago, and it's great!
    The sound quality is awesome, and it will last for ever
    The only thing I dislike from Xone 4D, is the knobs... they are too near one from another :c

Imo, maybe you could get a VCI-400, MC-6000 or S2/S4, they have everything you'll need and the default maps are great
    (2) Kontrol F1 - Kontrol S2 - (2) Technichs SL1210 mk2 - Maschine Mikro MK2 - Akai APC 20 - Midi Fighter Spectra - RMX 1000 - (2) Rokkit 6 - Gemini DJX05 - Kontrol Z2 - (2) Kontrol X1 MK2

Id go for it. It has everything you need to get back into it, allows you to add cdjs or vinyl if you want, and will get you used to a real mixer like what a club will have. If you don't like it down the line I'm sure you will be able to sell it and replace with a 92 and 2 x1s or whatever you decide you want. In a nutshell, its a great new beginning that leaves you open to pretty much any direction of growth.

I wouldnt get an s4 though. They're way overpriced for what they are.

Tech Mentor

A Xone:4D is THE dreamed controller/mixer/whatever for the people here, I guess. Even if you say you're a rookie, I would still pick it. Once you understand all the Traktor concepts, if you have some talent, you'll be spinnin great stuff on a Xone:4D, it has a really nice mixer, nice filters, a lot of midi controls... it's pretty awesome.

Tech Convert

Hmm... But its 5 years old :O No one seems to mind that...
    Damn I'm so tempted now The other controller's UI looks much simpler and cleaner to me, but then again this is high end stuff. Ahh need to think about it and read more

NO...don't get it. Xone:4D is a bit dated. There are better controllers out there for that kind of money: Vestax, NI, Pioneer etc.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Guru

I was looking into the Xone 4D for the same reasons as you OP. It can be had for pretty cheap now (for what it does) but after research, I got to the same conclusion as DirtyNerd.

IT's really dated, and it's not the best controller for Traktor. Ableton, probably one of the top ones, but I don't think it's a good Traktor controlller.

Meh. The 4d is essentially a 92 with two 2d's on each side. You're paying for the mixer and soundcard, not the controller. Agreed that it's not the most functional controller out there, but for $1070 you will be hard pressed to find a good 4 channel mixer, 20 channel sound card, and controller. Depending on the genre of music you want to mix as well, the only controls you really need for traktor are transport, loops, and effects. The 4d has more than enough controls laid out for that as well.

If however you want to get into mixing with lots of cue point juggling, and all the craziness that seems to get discussed on djtt so much, then you will be better off with something else probably. For house, tech no, and their derivatives though, the 4d will work great.

I would do it. The most important feature hasn't really been mentioned; it's a mixer too!

It's not just a controller, it's a mixer. As someone who has had both mixers, turntables and controller only setups, when it comes to feeling, you just can't beat the feeling of a mixer when mixing.

Also, I can't believe people think it's outdated...

Have never been more in love with a piece of gear as this one.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast