How Many Songs Are You Averaging per Set? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DJBife View Post
    Stop making love to kissy sell out and watch some Richie Hawtin, Carl Cox, DJ Vibe, Jeff Mills, Fatboy Slim...
    Had never heard of Kissy Sell Out before (well actually, my mate mentioned him earlier today ironically) but I just YouTube'd him and that's the basic principle, just without the wank genres.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by DJBife View Post
    It's all about creating a vibe, a groove, an environment, make people have fun...

what vibe can you create when you are changing songs every 20 seconds?
    It's not EVERY 20 seconds; I probably average 1 track every 1:30-2 minutes, but sometimes two or three tracks will be layered for up to 5 or 6 minutes, with cuepoint jumps, loops and fading between the tracks etc.

When you're playing Trance or Progressive House, as long as you don't clash the vocals (except in certain cases) and keep it harmonic it works perfectly well. I wouldn't do it with any other genres, but then again I wouldn't play any other genres, so it's irrelevant.

Tech Guru

He's pretty big here in the UK, surprised you've never even heard the name?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    He's pretty big here in the UK, surprised you've never even heard the name?
    Tbh I don't really pay much attention to other DJs; I'm the same with pretty much everything I do, whether it's photography or graphic design or DJing. Occasionally I'll get linked to something cool on YouTube or on here and I'll think, "yeah that's interesting", but I don't actively seek out what OTHER people are doing... I'd rather come up with ideas on my own.

Not knocking anyone else who uses others for inspiration, mind you, I just find I work better with as little external input - artistically speaking - as possible. With that said, Bass Kleph and Shiftee's performances DID persuade me to go out and buy a pad controller (Korg padKONTROL, ordered it earlier today ).

Tech Guru

Your Youtube mix isn't representative of yor typical mixing style then?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Your Youtube mix isn't representative of yor typical mixing style then?
    Oh Christ no, that was just a conservative one for "normal" clubs.

EDIT: The Fragma one's actually pretty old, this is my conservative prog house one: https://soundcloud.com/michael-tran-...gressive-house

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    In that case, I'm sure there's plenty of pubs and bars who have an iPod on shuffle. Considering this is DJTT - a forum specifically focussed on stretching the limitations of DJing and embracing the performance element - bashing people who do live performance-style DJing might not be the smartest of moves.
    How often a night do you train wreck?
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    How often a night do you train wreck?
    Once or twice during an hour set. Probably about the same for a 5 hour one, but for a 5 hour set I play more... traditionally, like in that Soundcloud mix. And in that scenario, it's usually just me doing something stupid like hitting Play/Pause on the wrong deck lol.

EDIT: By "trainwrecking" I assume you mean it basically just sounds a bit off, rather than things going COMPLETELY tits up. Mostly it's key issues, vocals clashing for a couple of bars, or accidentally hitting the wrong cuepoint (done that a fair few times).
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 04-18-2013 at 07:18 PM.

for me as long as the mixing is good, the actual mix length isn't an issue for me. i do tend to hurl abuse when the dj has missed the best bit though
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    EDIT: By "trainwrecking" I assume you mean it basically just sounds a bit off, rather than things going COMPLETELY tits up. Mostly it's key issues, vocals clashing for a couple of bars, or accidentally hitting the wrong cuepoint (done that a fair few times).
    Hope you don't mind the criticism, but many of the transitions in the mix you linked sounded a bit off to me too. Might want to polish up the EQing and phrasing a little if it's what you're giving to promoters and clubs.

Hope you don't mind the criticism, but many of the transitions in the mix you linked sounded a bit off to me too. Might want to polish up the EQing and phrasing a little if it's what you're giving to promoters and clubs.
    can u b more specific? it sounded be pretty legit to me. post ur time stamps where u think the transition is off (im 10 min into it while posting..)

EDIT: nvm i was 6 min in. and i can tell a few parts... still not too bad, but yea def make sure u keys aren't clashing...
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast