Dead macbook pro need help !!!

Default Dead macbook pro need help !!!

Hey guys I've been checking this site everyday for the past year and its amazing but today my day was runied. What happened is that I was working on some new tracks in live and all of a sudden BOoom my speakers shut off and my mac book pro powers off. So I check on the web to see what was wrong, I tried some keyboard short cuts that were on apples web site to reset it... no luck theirSo I was like why don't I just take it to the apple store that can check it out. I get there and I had to wait 1hr for them to check it out because I didn't have an call in advance to see if they were available. I wait the hour and they told me to go to the genius bar the technician arrives i tell him my problem and he said he'll take it to the back to jump start it or something. I sitting their for about 15mins before he gets back. He had this look on his face like . He get to the counter looks at me and says I have bad news for you.... You logic board is dead . I almost had a heart attack. I ask him so what can be done to fix it. He says well you will need a new logic board and that's gonna cost you $500!!! At that moment I almost fell out of my chair with tears. I got up and left with my dead mac book and a bag of disbelief. So now I'm stuck with a dead mac book and no money What can I do??? :'(

Tech Wizard

Well, the sad part is, if the logic board is dead, then there's little you can do about it. You're looking at some kind of repair. Luckily you won't have to spend $500. My logic board started acting up in the form of faulty graphics on my screen, and I was looking at a much bigger price tag to get it repaired.

Ask them at the apple store to send it off to the repair depot for $300. You'll have to wait about a week, but they will repair EVERYTHING they find. As they actually look at everything in your laptop and fix anything that's not up to standards. I literally got a repair done that would have cost more than $1000 for a flat $300, and they even replaced my DVD drive which was apparently dying.

I think the only catch is the fact that they send it off and it takes a week. If you want the repair done in the store, and don't want to wait a week, then you're looking at whatever the cost of parts are. In my opinion, it's smarter to just use the depot, who knows, they might repair even more for you. Since its the logic board it's not like it will just start working again, so a week of patience is a small price to pay.

Hope this helps!

Tech Mentor

Also sounds like you had Applecare on the item. They wont replace an entire logic board for 300-500 dollars without some kind of care plan. Also depends on the model etc

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by balakoth View Post
    Also sounds like you had Applecare on the item. They wont replace an entire logic board for 300-500 dollars without some kind of care plan. Also depends on the model etc
    My laptop was completely out of warranty and I never bought applecare for it. I wouldn't be bringing this up if I had some sort of underlying service that took care of it. Literally paid around $300 for a full logic board replacement.

Motherboard death = warranty. And to be honest.. Unless you do some really crazy stuff on/with your MBP, it shouldn't just die like that.
    Then again I have little to no faith in Apple technicians.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    Motherboard death = warranty. And to be honest.. Unless you do some really crazy stuff on/with your MBP, it shouldn't just die like that.
    Then again I have little to no faith in Apple technicians.
    MBP is no different than any other laptop or product.. they are susceptible to failure.. its a machine. I no longer use Apple because of the horrendous price of replacement, the technical support when it comes to a real hardware problem and of initial cost.

1300 for a Desktop MB replacement. Never again.

Replacing it with a custom built machine; Apple quoted me 11,250 for the equivalent specs, without the water cooling system that I am adding. For half the price

To each their own, but its not about quality. Sh@t happens unfortunately, no matter how quality the product is. Its how they react that is how I judge a product/company.

Tech Convert

Does it not power up at all? If it does, are there any icons that flash or anything of the sort?

I find it more often than not that Apple likes to blame the logic board on easy-fixit situations. My hard drive stopped reading a couple of months ago and I was quoted $800 for the repair at an Apple store only to replace a frayed hard drive cable for $20.

I'd do some poking around for specifics of the issue, there are hundreds of guides online for replacing stuff inside Apple computers, might as well do it yourself, your warranty is void anyway.