Converting Songs to Notes

Default Converting Songs to Notes

i've been wondering if there is a method other than trial and error by ear that would help with remixing songs. let's say i wanted to recreate the bassline from one song with a certain synth, is there an easy method of getting the specific notes out of one song, other than doing it by ear? i'm thinking something along the lines of a tuner to listen to the original and analyze what the note is, does anyone know? i don't have a huge problem with doing it by ear, but in this modern age i half-expect there to be a more "digital" solution. thanks guys.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

hey

there are some programs that will attempt to do this, and output it as midi notes, but depending on the song they're pretty hit and miss, depends on what instruments there are in the song, if they're overlapping and lots of different things.

k

loop the note and take a cromatic tuner, but with a lil musical experience, try & error is the best i guess..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

thanks for the suggestions guys, i think i have a tuner laying around somewhere, which was my backup if going by ear was too frustrating. but i know my way around a scale so shouldn't be too bad. thanks again.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Best bet is to learn to do it by ear, takes practice but you will learn a good skill while your at it

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    i've been wondering if there is a method other than trial and error by ear that would help with remixing songs. let's say i wanted to recreate the bassline from one song with a certain synth, is there an easy method of getting the specific notes out of one song, other than doing it by ear? i'm thinking something along the lines of a tuner to listen to the original and analyze what the note is, does anyone know? i don't have a huge problem with doing it by ear, but in this modern age i half-expect there to be a more "digital" solution. thanks guys.
    answer: melodyne care of celemony

and there is this not 1000 usd:

http://www.pyrolator.com/blog/weblog...udiotomidi_11/

I liked working with that scene.. it was wonky and retarded.. perfect for my music
    Last edited by audiomontana; 09-03-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Best bet is to learn to do it by ear, takes practice but you will learn a good skill while your at it
    Agreed.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Probably by ear is the best way to go, it will help you grow as a musician, too.

If you weren't already doing it this way, I suggest using a keyboard (controller) while doing this. It's a lot easier I think to do it this way rather than trying to guess and put the notes into whatever sequencer you're using.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter