Do you take notes before you DJ? Im stressed plzz help me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Do you take notes before you DJ? Im stressed plzz help me

hey, ive been DJing for a few years. It's not my job but i do it Every day almost all my free time and im going to play at a party for the first time.

I created my playlist , and while i was creating it, my mix was really better than when i was organised with notes. I get stressed when it comes to mixing it again or recording it. However, if I dont take notes i don't remember how i planned the mix.

Please help me im not comfortable when other people are hearing me , is this normal? please help :/

Tech Guru

If most of your free time is spent mixing you shouldn't need to use notes or planning. Don't worry what other people think about your mixing - song selection is all that matters to them.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

I understand your stage fright. I myself have big problem performing before people. It's so bad in my head, that I actually play out really bad. Making me affraid to even accept offers from some people I know who plan events. It's alright to have that feeling, too. Just don't let it overwhelm you. I can handle it cause I have no ambitions of performing for people. But do try & convince yourself. If you're mixing all by yourself, and think "yeah, this is good", well, chances are it really is good. And other people might find it good. Might find it even better than you think.

Try & record. And if it goes bad because of the stress, just keep mixing. Leave the record on. You won't be running out of disk space anytime soon, and if you do, it's cheap. Just try and get it out of your system. Whatever that takes. If pre-planning a playlist makes you more confident, than please do so.

I know this is kind of short & does'nt cover anything. Just try & enjoy what you do, and fight the stress! You got this.

improvise

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    improvise
    This. You can set up playlists as rough guidelines, but if your crowd hates it, you're gonna need to switch it up, so you need to know how to mix to anything else. If you've been practicing as much as you say you have for as long as you have, you should be a pro at this by now.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Don't plan, know, feel and listen to your music.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Mentor

Start playing for small crowds! The best way to learn is by fucking up and learning from your mistakes, so you might as well limit the audience hearing you messing around. When I started out I also was in the very fortunate position of always having an experienced friend with me, who'd take over as soon as I felt I was losing the crowd (or myself). That reassurance is really nice to have as it takes some of the stress away.

Oh, and a couple of drinks usually help too.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tech Wizard

Can you explain why you have stage fright? Stage fright is, as I see it, a result of doubt about your own qualities. If you have practised for years, you must be able to deliver a decent set. If you still can't, (and this going to sound harsh) you are unfit to dj in public. So the question is, are you capable of delivering a decent set?? If the answer is yes, you have no reason to fear playing in public.

Tech Wizard

I would say its very rare that making some kind of set list is going to help you. Most DJs do not respond well to that kind of pressure. Check out some of the past DJTT articles about prep and organizing your music library.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/04/1...j-should-know/

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/10/2...by-track-type/

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/1...r-music-files/

The most useful thing you can do is organize your library well and get as much information as possible at your fingertips.

You can do whatever the hell you want. Do whatever makes it easiest for you. It's completely different for everybody.

Don't let anyone tell you what NOT TO DO.

I have ALWAYS got a notepad near me whenever I'm practicing. There is absolutely no reason not to.

The most useful thing you can do is organize your library well and get as much information as possible at your fingertips.
    QFT.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast