What does Sync enable YOU to do?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default What does Sync enable YOU to do?

So here's a question which has been floating around my mind for a little while; for those of you who use Sync on a regular basis, what SPECIFICALLY does it let you do that you wouldn't/couldn't do when beatmatching manually?

In order to avoid this turning into one of "those" threads, here are some quick and simple tips with regards to contribution.

People who should contribute to this thread:

• Those who use Sync
    • Can beatmatch by ear/visually
    • Choose not to
    • Have a specific reason for doing so

People who should NOT contribute to this thread:

• People who don't use Sync
    • People who use Sync JUST to make things easier
    • Anyone thinking about posting a comment just saying "Sync is for pussies" or something along those lines

Anyway, with all that out of the way, I'll kick things off

Personally, the most significant thing I find using Sync enables me to do is drop a track with the channel fader UP, as I know that with properly prepared beatgrids, it won't sound "off". VERY useful for bringing in a drum beat into track B, right when the break in track A occurs.

Anyone else?

I do the instant drop too.

It allows me to layer 2 or more tracks, while dropping random loops and samples in time, without having to keep checking my cueing. This allows me to PERFORM...as well as DJ.

Yes, it is possible to do it without sync I guess, but why work harder when you can work smarter.

Been DJing for donkey's years...so I have no need to prove I can beatmatch. I can when needed and do when my grid is off etc.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

I only use two decks, so Sync allows me to keep two tracks playing together for longer than I would normally have. When the old track ends, I can quickly load up the next track and mix it in without the extra time needed to find my cue, beatmatch, etc - kind of like instant dropping, like you guys already mentioned.
    Macbook Pro
    Traktor Pro 2 | Kontrol S2 | LPD8
    Ableton Live | Ableton Push

Sync allows me to spend more time using the search function to find previous instances of the exact same discussion on djtechtools.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

This is NOT another SYNC/Beatmatch thread, we've had more than enough of those and know how they end. Keep it that way to avoid the lock.

Tech Wizard

What Sarasin says, layering. There isn't much time when I only have 1 thing going on. But especially having a clap-loop or something in deck D without having to check it before bringing it in is very useful. I also use Maschine now and then and it's a real hassle to use without sync (I even doubt if someone could use it effectively without sync).

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    This is NOT another SYNC/Beatmatch thread, we've had more than enough of those and know how they end. Keep it that way to avoid the lock.
    Cheers mate

Tech Guru

Honest question -- can we get some examples to listen to. I don't ask this a non-sync troll question, my curiousity is wanting to hear what sound "good" when layering tracks. Normally that is the argument for sync --- I have a bunch of things layered. I've seen Hawtin and others live and understand the concept, but my real curiousity is those that are not at that level (as I am not, and figure most guys here are on par with the average club DJ) I'd like to hear how the average DJ uses it. Especially intrigued with using Machine, I've thougth about using The Bridge with SSL and have heard some really good demos from some very talented guys.

Perhaps point out what you are doing so we can learn something vs. just saying "I layer multiple decks"
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Syncing beat effects to track BPM.

Tech Convert

bring in a track with a reverse beat roll, fade or filter in from 1/4 loop -> 1/2 -> drop, all in perfect time

really fun

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast