Narrowed it down; JBL EON or Used QSC K series?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Narrowed it down; JBL EON or Used QSC K series?

After getting much information and advice, I've decided that with a budget of ~1000$ active is the way to go.

I've got this down to pretty much 2 options:

My first option, I could get two of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...red-pa-speaker

Coupled with this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ered-subwoofer

And if I haggle a bit with guitar center, all that could fit within my budget. I've heard very good things about both speakers.

The second option, which my buddy really thinks is a better idea, would be to get two used QSC Actives, probably the K series, and then add a subwoofer later when I've got the money, this way I won't have to upgrade long term. I am going away to college this coming fall and I can't imagine i'll have much money to buy a subwoofer on par with those the QSC's, and I'd hate to be stuck underpowered and without the bass I want. But at the same time, my buddy knows far more about sound, speakers, and brands than I do.

With my budget, I could *maybe* afford two used of these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...red-pa-speaker

In my situation does it make more sense to go ahead with the JBL EON's? Or should I take the good advice from my friend?

Thanks a bunch. Been asking on a lot of forums and you guys have been the most helpful

I have a pair of the K12's and I couldn't be happier with them. HOWEVER, (big however), I do have a QSC KW181 sub that I always use with them.

Now that I think of it, I haven't used the K12's w/o the KW181 yet. I need to check it out to see how they sound without it.
    Last edited by papo; 04-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Tech Guru

QSC are great speakers with awesome warranty. If you find a pair that hasn't been abused I'd strongly consider them. I would not get the EON's, there's better speakers in that range. I'd prefer the EV Live X series over EON's. Also take a look at Yamaha DRX line, price i believe is between the EV's and the QSC's but I've read lots of folks prefer them over the QSC's. Also if you plan on adding a sub go with 12 inch tops, you'll get a better range with the 12's + subs.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by papo View Post
    I have the a pair of the K12's and I couldn't be happier with them. HOWEVER, (big however), I do have a QSC KW181 sub that I always use with them.

Now that I think of it, I haven't used the K2's w/o the KW181 yet. I need to check it out to see how they sound without it.
    What's up pimp...with the pimp set up. You gotta let me hear that shit crank homey.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    QSC are great speakers with awesome warranty. If you find a pair that hasn't been abused I'd strongly consider them. I would not get the EON's, there's better speakers in that range. I'd prefer the EV Live X series over EON's. Also take a look at Yamaha DRX line, price i believe is between the EV's and the QSC's but I've read lots of folks prefer them over the QSC's. Also if you plan on adding a sub go with 12 inch tops, you'll get a better range with the 12's + subs.
    can you elaborate on this?

Tech Guru

Generally 15's lack midrange and provide a better low end, but if you are pairing your tops up with a sub (low end) then use 12's as your tops so you have a fuller range. It will sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Generally 15's lack midrange and provide a better low end, but if you are pairing your tops up with a sub (low end) then use 12's as your tops so you have a fuller range. It will sound better.
    Interesting, I did not know this.

Ack, two used QSC K12's, the cheapest I can find, which I know NOTHING about their condition, are for 650 each. two of them being 1300$ which is outside of my budget... Not to mention it could be a LONG time before I'd have money to buy a sub, because otherwise those two alone don't sound like they'd be able to rock good size parties with the bass I want.

I appreciate the suggestions, but most of these are simply too expensive.

Tech Guru

Keep looking for deals. EV is coming out with a new model the ZLX that is priced really well 399.00 for active 12's. Not sure what will happen with the ELX line. Also check out RCF's, about two years back I grabbed two 315's for about 700.00 the pair as the new line was about to release. Got them on eBay. The 12's were about 650.00 at the time and they are awesome sounding, very clear speakers. Def need a sub with them though.

Tech Guru

Tech Mentor

I own the K12's and they are righteous. Best sound out of an active speaker that I've ever heard. I'd even consider the K10's unless you're doing a ton of mobile gigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast