DJM vs DB help please
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DJM vs DB help please

Im stuck between DJM900 or a XoneDB series. Instincts are telling me to stick w pioneer because im already familiar w their products. And i like em. But i know A&H deliver pure quality. Looking to put together a minimal, powerful, quality setup. using Traktor and K2 controller. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

thx

Tech Mentor

Xone DB all day long.

In a club you are more likely to come across the Pioneer range of mixers, granted, but if your already familiar with Pioneer mixers, then the A&H for home use is an absolute beast.

I sold my DJM 800 to get a DJM 900, and I was all set to buy it when I went into the store. The DB2 blew the 900 out of the water IMO. And is substantially cheaper (depending on where you are located admittedly). The DB4 was only slightly more expensive for me than a DJM 900, and is just a MUCH nicer mixer for my use.

To be honest though, I was never really a huge fan of the "harsh" effects available on the DJM series, and the infinitely more subtle, studio grade effects found on the DB series of mixers are far more up my street.

And the filter EQ's as well as standard and ISO eq's, are immense. Not to forget the A&H filters that are separate from the normal effects unit, and you have a really powerful package.

You do loose out on scratch certification and send / return with the DB, but then they can be worked around too.

Then there is mixarchitects tsi file for the DB4, and you don't even really need an external controller for Traktor (although I do use an external controller, and scratch dvs).
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Guru

If you're mixing at home or putting together a mobile setup, then go for whatever you prefer (try them out in person).

If you want to be prepared for gigs elsewhere, get the DJM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I have a DJM800 and a DB4 and I have to say I prefer the DJM due to my mixing style - but the DB4 is a much better made, higher quality mixer...which is reflective on the price.

As per other answers above, if you are planning to play out I'd get a DJM as that is what you'll come across in a club 9/10 times.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you're mixing at home or putting together a mobile setup, then go for whatever you prefer (try them out in person).

If you want to be prepared for gigs elsewhere, get the DJM.
    This.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Unless you're a touring act and have a rider....I say stick with the DJM.

I've already come across several beat up house mixers at the clubs we play in....the last thing you need in that situation is figuring out where the filters and effects are at.

And to those that keep saying the DJM effects are harsh....use it less!
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Tech Guru

The Level/Depth knob is there for a reason, the effects are only as harsh as you make them.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post
    Unless you're a touring act and have a rider....I say stick with the DJM.

I've already come across several beat up house mixers at the clubs we play in....the last thing you need in that situation is figuring out where the filters and effects are at.

And to those that keep saying the DJM effects are harsh....use it less!
    The OP has already stated that they are already familiar with the DJM line-up, so it's a non starter to suggest he would have to look for filters and effects.

In comparison to the A&H effects, the best description for the DJM effects is that they are harsh. There is nowhere near the same amount of control, subtlety and quality in the effects on the DJM as there are on the A&H. I have yet to see a Pioneer mixer, for example, effect a delay on a narrow frequency range, with timing and frequency control, as well as level depth and attenuation.

Looking for a mixer that is minimal, powerful & quality, when used in conjunction with a K2, as the OP is looking for, the DB series is a much better choice than the DJM.

If the OP was unfamiliar with the Pioneer line-up, then my advice may have been different, but for what he is looking for, the DB series mixers can't be beat. Well, not by Pioneer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The Level/Depth knob is there for a reason, the effects are only as harsh as you make them.
    Judging the Pioneer on it's own, yes, you are correct. Comparing it to the A&H, you are wrong. The A&H effects are a completely different league to the DJM effects, with a lot more subtlety and control available on the DB. Hence why some of the biggest DJ's rider includes a DB4 (John Digweed, Pete Tong, Sasha etc...).
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Guru

There is much more to a mixer than its effects. And what good are the DB4's effects if you're not gigging with it? If you're only using 2 decks EQing your FX is simple on a DJM900, and it comes as standard on the 2000. And timing/depth/frequency control is of course on both.

A non-standard mixer is only worth if it you'll actually be gigging with that specific mixer. Only the big name DJs can pick and choose what gear they'll get.

If you hate stubby little bastard EQ knobs, don't get the Xone.

It'd help to know what genre of music you mix. I'd say for house and techno, go for the Xone as the effects work with that genre/bpm range.

I wouldn't recommend it for say drum & bass as the only think you're likely to use on the Xone are the filters.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Xone mixers. Mainly because of the stupid fucking knobs.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast