F U Soundcloud - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: F U Soundcloud

Theres so much hatred and arguing going on in this thread. Stop it.

We need to be positive. If you have a mix soundcloud wont let you put up, just put it up for free download on another site, add a samples portion of the mix to soundcloud, et the download link to the full mix in the more options setting of the soundcloud sample and voila your mix is shared on soundcloud.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I'm guessing they have a list of labels that don't play nice. Those are the ones that you should get pissed off at. Obviously just sticking a track up there for anyone to download is a douche move (does anyone do that even?) but crying foul when someone gives you free publicity from your track being in a mix (and ID'ed)... even douchier. The entire hobby was built on sharing mixes. I mean, seriously, why stop there? Why not send the police to house parties to arrest people for not paying royalties?

Why are they not pulling down Lee Burridge's multiple 3-hour long sets that have heaps and heaps of copyright material?

Pretty lame rule which is haphazardly enforced. As stated before, they seem to not even do their due diligence to see who owns the copyright. They're hurting themselves. I cancelled my pro account a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    Why are they not pulling down Lee Burridge's multiple 3-hour long sets that have heaps and heaps of copyright material?
    I think it's cos they only scan the first X number of seconds/minutes, as other people have said. I've only had 3 mixes blocked at the point of upload and they were all blocked because of the very first track, which does seem to back that theory up.

I agree with everything you said though. It's the labels that are to blame, because I'm sure SoundCloud don't want to drive people to other sites by taking their mixes/tracks down. I have a Pro Plus account because I've tried a few different hosting services and SoundCloud is the one where I get the most listens by far - it's not even close. That's the main reason why people stick with it.

Tech Wizard

I get that the rules are rules, and I'm not even mad about going over to mixcloud. My question is, when these bigger DJs are putting their mixes on soundcloud, why aren't they having issues? Or are they just wiggling by somehow? Is this a stupid question?

Quote Originally Posted by djbigchamp View Post
    My question is, when these bigger DJs are putting their mixes on soundcloud, why aren't they having issues? Or are they just wiggling by somehow? Is this a stupid question?
    How do you know that they are not having issues?

I know amateur DJs that have put a bunch of mixes up on SoundCloud and not had an issue. It really comes down to whether your mix features any of the tracks in the "blocked" database and, as many suspect, whether your mix starts with one of those tracks as it appears they may only scan the first part of the mix for infringement.

I'm not saying it's impossible that SoundCloud are treating certain DJs differently, but I just don't see how you can know. The only way to know would be to download their mixes and then try re-uploading them to see if they get blocked for copyright infringement. I wouldn't advise doing that with your main account though, because if you get too many strikes you get a final warning, then if it happens again your account is closed and they don't refund any money you've paid.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma View Post
    How do you know that they are not having issues?

I know amateur DJs that have put a bunch of mixes up on SoundCloud and not had an issue. It really comes down to whether your mix features any of the tracks in the "blocked" database and, as many suspect, whether your mix starts with one of those tracks as it appears they may only scan the first part of the mix for infringement.

I'm not saying it's impossible that SoundCloud are treating certain DJs differently, but I just don't see how you can know. The only way to know would be to download their mixes and then try re-uploading them to see if they get blocked for copyright infringement. I wouldn't advise doing that with your main account though, because if you get too many strikes you get a final warning, then if it happens again your account is closed and they don't refund any money you've paid.
    yup, and also big name djs would be far more likely to have actual permission from the copyright holder to allow them to upload the mix.

i've only had a problem uploading one of my mixes and it was because of the first track as well. it was a song from the 2001 space odyssey soundtrack. this is the one:

you can't blame soundcloud for this. they have to follow the wishes of the copyright holders or they will face serious consequences. it's just what happens when sites like this start to get a lot of momentum.
    Last edited by squidot; 04-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234