How do i get to the next level?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do i get to the next level?

Hey,
    I am an aspiring DJ and have been learning the basics for too long. I use Traktor, with a reloop mixage controller, a cheap beginner controller. I can do the basic mixing, outro of a song with an intro of another and whatnot, pretty easily, and have also play around with using samples, like one-shot vocals and things like that. But i feel like i am stuck right now. I want to be able to advance my skills and be a better DJ, good enough to be hired by a club or some private parties. I have some experience playing in front of a crowd, by playing at multiple friends parties, and in front of hundreds of kids at my old high school. but i want to know what i need to learn to set myself away from the beginner, sync button masher, DJs, and onto the next level of professional DJs.
    Can someone point me in the right direction, and show me what i need to learn, and what equipment i should be looking at, to better myself as a DJ.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

stop asking us and start listening to DJs you like and take things you like and implement them into your set and practice. how is DJing any different than anything else in the world? Practice and work hard and network.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Wizard

I'd say try to develop transitions and effects that are original to what you like. Play around with flat loops in traktor and practice doing ridiculous things with them until you find sounds you like. Work on different types of transitions and focus on the elements of each track which you'd like to highlight. For example, pull some of those vocal samples and find a part of a track or loop where they could fit, and modulate accordingly using effects and different types of techniques involved with mixing.

Really its all about originality and creativity. This will set you apart from your peers and get you into your own style faster.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

but i want to know what i need to learn to set myself away from the beginner, sync button masher, DJs, and onto the next level of professional DJs.
    1. What do you consider too long to be learning the basics ?
    2. What kind of Music or Clubs are you into.
    2. Learn Patience - Let your track selection do the talking.
    3. Button mashing is annoying most of the time as is over using effects.
    4. Try Mixing in key by ear if you are getting bored.
    5. When you are a professional you can just wave your Hands, put one CD in the deck and pretend you are playing an entire set.
    6. Equipment does NOT make the DJ, what you have right now is more than adequate to pull off a stomper of a set.

Try mixing different genres, It helps being able to mix multiple genres really well.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    1. What do you consider too long to be learning the basics ?
    2. What kind of Music or Clubs are you into.
    2. Learn Patience - Let your track selection do the talking.
    3. Button mashing is annoying most of the time as is over using effects.
    4. Try Mixing in key by ear if you are getting bored.
    5. When you are a professional you can just wave your Hands, put one CD in the deck and pretend you are playing an entire set.
    6. Equipment does NOT make the DJ, what you have right now is more than adequate to pull off a stomper of a set.
    I feel like i have been doing the basics for a couple years. I feel as if i haven't progressed nearly as much as i should have for the amount of time i have been playing. My main genre for DJing is different sub-genres of electronic, such as house, electro-pop, remixes of mainstream music (top 100 on itunes), and i also am getting into some hard techno (170BPM). So basically i range from 130-175 BPM.

Tech Wizard

You go to the next level by going up, up, down, right, A, B and hold Select for 5 seconds.

Tech Mentor

I'm currently exploring turntablism right now. You might wanna look into that?
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

1. Experience - The great Dj's have a ton of it
    2. Go out & dance. When you find out what you like and what you don't, then you'll have a much better idea of what you want to do and what you need to do to get there.
    3. What are your favourite Dj's doing. Not so much the trickery, but how they build their set, and how they build it back up after an exciting peak. The worst kind of DJ'ing, IMO, is those who have very similar sounding tracks within a genre and play through them. It sounds very boring.
    4. Use your emotions. When you are playing a track and you are going through potentials, using preview player, what's the track you feel will really lift the listener and spur them on to carry on listening. Sounds obvious, but if it's not making you go 'Yeah' inside, then there's little chance of anyone else feeling the same.

Tech Convert

My advice is for you to find a local friend, he doesn't have to be a master of the trade or be playing at any clubs. Talk shop. Do mix sessions together. Stream a set or two while you DJ online. Get your friends to listen in! Its a great way to DJ to an audience without having to go through a lot of effort. You get to practice and get your adrenaline pumping at the same time.

It helps if you hit it off with a DJ that is a professional though, he can help you a lot more, but really any kind of friend you can make while moving along the DJ "skill ladder" will help you. At the very least you will both keep entertained by what each other does when playing music.

If you do hit it off with a professional DJ, WATCH what he does, ask questions when he is not busy or at the end of the night and then go home and try to replicate what he taught you. 90% of the work we do is muscle memory. Scratching, Mixing, Beatmatching, and any other trickery that you see live is all the result of much practice, usually on a daily basis. This stuff is not learned by somebody telling you what to do... YOU MUST work at it on your own time.

Music is at the center of your work as a DJ, so treat your music collection the way you want it to treat you. Organize it in ways that you will remember when in the heat of the moment. Use tools like iTunes or other music managers to help you clean/organize your music and create a system that fits the way your brain works when you want to play songs. All this filing work, and learning your music from start to finish will make it so that your TECHNICAL ABILITY that you've gained with PRACTICE will come together and make you sound great! It is all very time consuming, but unless you want to stay home, mixing to nobody, not having a reason to upgrade your equipment or play in front of a crowd, YOU MUST DEDICATE your time to DJing.

When you post on a forum, ask specific questions about things you want to learn. Asking really broad questions like you did won't get you anywhere. Youtube is FULL of tutorials for every facet of the DJ world, do some research and be patient.

Most importantly, know this: It takes years, not months to become great at ANYTHING. DJing is a journey, not a marathon, so be ready to put in the time if you care to elevate your skill and style.

Best of luck man.

BIS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast