Subwoofer Choice - Advice Needed
    Tech Wizard

Default Subwoofer Choice - Advice Needed

Hello,

I have been enjoying my Yamaha DXR15s for the 7 months and love them. They do have enough bass for most applications. However, I want to add a sub - just one for now. I know the DXRs are ideally matched with their twin DXS subs, but I want to venture out and try a different brand sub. It was recommended that I get a sub that has a high pass crossover setting to help filter out the low end.

I was thinking of the getting the Cerwin-Vega CVA-121X, which has the HPF. Can you recommend other brands around $1000 or less?

BTW, my mixer is a Denon MC6000. It has no dedicated sub-out, but I believe I can use the Unbalanced Master Out sockets, or the Booth Out sockets if the sub has its own crossover.

Thanks again - Oyiwaa.

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Tech Mentor

Well, if you are using a sub with a high-pass crossover, you will run your main outputs to the sub and then connect the active tops to the sub's high-pass output.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Mentor

Also, by looking up your Yamaha DXR15 speakers... you don't need a high-pass crossover since they have a built-in 100 or 120Hz crossover.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Wizard

Thanks very much ... does it then mean that any sub would do, or I have to look for those that offer LowPass filter settings?

thx .. Oyiwaa

Tech Convert

Yorkville LS-800P is what I have been using for 10 years.
    Reliable, extremely powerful, highly recommended.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    Thanks very much ... does it then mean that any sub would do, or I have to look for those that offer LowPass filter settings?
    Every active subwoofer has some sort of low pass filter built in.