Set-up advice?

Thread: Set-up advice?

Default Set-up advice?

Hi, Newbie to the site here....
    Ive been looking for the andwers to my Q's for a while but cant find anything so apologies if its a duplicate question...

I currently use Traktor and Virtual DJ (depending on venue), a NI Audio2 soundcard, and a Pioneer DJM800. I dont use a controller but instead use hotkeys on the keyboard.

The venues I play at range from having no equipment to CDJs and Mixers, etc.

I'm looking to upgrade my system but undecided as to what to go for.

Either go for Traktor Scratch A6 or A10 - and use CDJs where available, or hotkeys, using my existing DJM800

Or go for a Kontrol S2 or S4 (S4 can be used with VDJ), which presumably I wouldnt need a mixer - just plug straight into the venue's mixing desk like I do with my mixer?

If I go for a S2 or S4, are they as good and easy to use as a DJM800, and is the sound quality reasonable?
    Can the S2 or S4 be used with Serato if I went down that route?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

anyone??

Tech Mentor

First off, you can map almost anything with MIDI functionality to just about any software. That said, using an S2/S4 with Serato is not generally advisable, as the S2/S4 was specifically designed around Traktor's workflow and design. So while it could in theory be mapped to Serato, it'll be an uphill battle; one that IMHO isn't worth it.

To answer your sound quality question, a DJM 800 has arguably one of the highest quality outputs available at a semi-reasonable price. That said, NI uses the same sound cards in the S2/S4 as they do on their A6/10, and many will say it can give the DJM line a run for its money. If you ask me, you really can't make a mistake in this area with the choices you listed above.

All of the options you presented would be viable, it really depends on your style. Personally, I went from an A6 to an S2, and then back to the A6, as I wasn't a huge fan of controllers. It's also really nice to be able to walk into a club with just a backpack holding your cans, laptop, and scratch box. However if you can't/don't beatmatch by ear, this setup could prove rather frustrating (I know you're new to the forum, not sure how new you are to DJing in general).

If it were me personally, I'd save up for some CDJ-800s or 1000s and a scratch box in your software flavor of choice, for the sole reason that if I already had a DJM, I may as well go with a full setup. On the flip side of that, a lot of people will likely disagree with me and say sell the DJM and use that money to fund an S4 (this forum is largely Traktor country). I don't think I need to tell you that the second option would likely be easier on your wallet.

I go with the timecode CDJ route, as I feel it provides a built-in backup, and I learned on CDJs with flash drives. If my laptop croaks, I can still make it through a set using the CDJs and thumb drives/CDs. Your laptop dies mid-set with a controller, you're kind of screwed if there's no other gear in the booth.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

Personally, I would keep the DJM-800 (since it is still pretty much industry standard), get an Audio 6 or 10, a Kontrol X1, with the CDJ's being optional.

A Kontrol X1 will work great with either Traktor or Serato, and will eliminate the need to use your keyboard. Also, it can come in handy if you play a club with dodgy CDJ's. This setup will give you the ultimate in flexibility.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P