Has anyone been to dubspot? New to DJing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow thanks a lot guys. All VERY helpful info.

Tech Wizard

I can't personally say whether classes are good or not but I can say that practice in an actual club is the best. Thats where your real experience comes from. Especially playing to a crowd and working around unexpected circumstances.

If you can afford it, i would take some classes they will def teach you things that you may not learn by yourself. For example I need help setting up traktor in a club on a Pioneer system and could use some lessons on switching Dj's mid set, etc. I was actually considering some private lessons from Dubspot, just on things I wanna focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    That's brutal. I've got that book, an was very happy i had turntables while reading it. What was the midi controller you had?

It was a platisticky piece of crap from numark. A total control if i remember rightly. Did the job and covered the basics though, and i still use the for dummies book now and again!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    I got the DJ'ing for Dummies book and read it for 6 months in Afghanistan with a little midi controller i kept in a box for down time. basics learnt!
    I did the exact same thing when I was on a MEU in Japan. Same book and all!!

practice, practice, practice

then repeat

Quote Originally Posted by SicksentZ View Post
    I actually work there. Feel free to drop me a msg if you have any brother.
    do you know a dj/producer by the name of Seph with Republic Music?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by johnrazor View Post
    Practice is the most important thing. You should really pick up two books as well-- one for theory and another for implementation. There are tons of great books out there but I feel like there's a few that really shine.

For theory, consider picking up "How to DJ right" or "DJing for Dummies." Both books do a great job of explaining key concepts like beat matching, phrase matching, harmonic mixing, and so on. I think they're $10 or $15 each at Amazon. Since you're using a Kontrol S2 (and presumably Traktor), you can skip over the early bits about turntable purchasing/maintenance/etc. and go straight for the good stuff.

For implementation, I'd recommend the Traktor Bible. It's crammed with useful information specific to Traktor that would take a tremendous amount of time to figure out without a book (or Google).

It all comes back to practice though-- if you want to be good at something, just keep doing it. Pick a bunch of songs that are roughly the same tempo (BPM). Mix from one to the next, even if you mess up, just keep going. Read lots of tutorials, books, whatever you're having trouble with. Drop me a line if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help.
    Why do people refer those two books, ive read both, and find them to be horrible.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by RodLikesDubstep View Post
    So I'm new to DJing and I'm not quite sure where to start. I own the Traktor s2 and a MacBook Pro. I've been playing with it for a few days now. I love it. But I want to know what to practice and learn how to use the different features in the program. Dubspot looks good but I want to know from someone who's been there before I drop $800 on it. If not let me know how you guys think I should go about it. Any tips for the newbie?
    As Richie Hawtin said, hes afraid schools like this are going to just be churning out copy cats. In most cases you are replicating styles and reproducing. That in no way is developing your own "style". The only way I see dubspot as useful is for those who have the money to for some reason drop on the classes, but not the gear. As Dubspot provides alot of that for you

For awhile I was thinking about their producer series awhile back. But after a friend attended the Ableton Production course, decided it wasnt worth 10 grand for the entire package. There are some nice instructors, the verbal feedback was great. For production/sound design, I would recommend their courses.

For DJing, it seems like a wasted course. The one draw to doing it on campus is that you get to play a real New York Club for your final. So i guess if thats worth paying a couple grand for

Tech Mentor

Oh rereading... I assume you are going to do the online DJing part? Because the normal course is 2000 bucks.. For the in person.

Dont do the online DJ aspect of dubspot. Their courses are only worth the in person aspect. Use the internet and youtube as others suggestion if you want to pay a couple thousand for some videos and some feedback that anyone can give you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12