Has anyone been to dubspot? New to DJing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone been to dubspot? New to DJing

So I'm new to DJing and I'm not quite sure where to start. I own the Traktor s2 and a MacBook Pro. I've been playing with it for a few days now. I love it. But I want to know what to practice and learn how to use the different features in the program. Dubspot looks good but I want to know from someone who's been there before I drop $800 on it. If not let me know how you guys think I should go about it. Any tips for the newbie?

Look at tutorials online. Read a book. Practice.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Student

I actually work there. Feel free to drop me a msg if you have any brother.

Default Practice, read, practice

Practice is the most important thing. You should really pick up two books as well-- one for theory and another for implementation. There are tons of great books out there but I feel like there's a few that really shine.

For theory, consider picking up "How to DJ right" or "DJing for Dummies." Both books do a great job of explaining key concepts like beat matching, phrase matching, harmonic mixing, and so on. I think they're $10 or $15 each at Amazon. Since you're using a Kontrol S2 (and presumably Traktor), you can skip over the early bits about turntable purchasing/maintenance/etc. and go straight for the good stuff.

For implementation, I'd recommend the Traktor Bible. It's crammed with useful information specific to Traktor that would take a tremendous amount of time to figure out without a book (or Google).

It all comes back to practice though-- if you want to be good at something, just keep doing it. Pick a bunch of songs that are roughly the same tempo (BPM). Mix from one to the next, even if you mess up, just keep going. Read lots of tutorials, books, whatever you're having trouble with. Drop me a line if you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help.

Get really comfortable with the controller. Learn every part of it. The Native Instruments manuals that come with the controllers are great. That's where I'd say to start. It's kind of like driving; you have to know how to operate the car before you learn what to do on the road. Then head over to the DJTT Youtube channel, or just search through Youtube and learn some tricks. Also, flip through the DJTT blog as well. Lots of good stuff there.

As OmniRoss has said, practice. Just going between songs, messing with combinations of effects and trying things in general does a lot. It may feel like you're doing nothing but it helps in the long run and you're actually learning things.

I'm pretty much on the team with Joel Zimmerman (Deadmau5) and others. I wouldn't take classes. It teaches you one way of doing something and it can limit your capacity to come up with your own original spin on things. You can teach yourself through internet resources. Everything I know in music is self taught and in direct collaboration with other musicians and people.

Good luck and have fun!
    -D
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/dcaxeslinger

17.3" HP Pavillion G7 8 Gigs RAM, NI Traktor Kontrol S2, NI Traktor Kontrol F1, NI Maschine Mikro Mk2, DJTT Midifighter Spectra

RodLikesDubtep - pm me.

Youtube:
    Ellaskins
    Dj angelo
    Not dj bl3nd

Paid courses:
    Dub spot ( you can find all of this free, but courses offer a little more)
    Qberts scratch university (if you are into scratching)

Personally, being as you are starting out, I reccomend YouTube, and just practice mixing one track into the same track back and forth until you get it clean. Then do 2 different tracks.

Most importantly, learn your music inside and out. It is better to have 20 tracks you know perfectly than to download 400 tracks that you don't know. You will get lost, and trainwreck non stop if you don't know your music

Read everything on this forum as well, there is so much free knowledge on his site.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Great guys thanks a lot. Very helpful responses.

I got the DJ'ing for Dummies book and read it for 6 months in Afghanistan with a little midi controller i kept in a box for down time. basics learnt!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

That's brutal. I've got that book, an was very happy i had turntables while reading it. What was the midi controller you had?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast