Sound quality problem with new earphones
    Tech Guru

Default Sound quality problem with new earphones

I recently bought a pair of Shure SE215s to try out earbuds vs. full headphones but the sound quality is seriously lacking. The midrange in particular sounds very compressed and harsh, similar to how a bad Youtube video or 96kbps MP3 sounds.

I've tried all the included tips and had no significant improvement, and I've also ordered another set of silicone tips to try. My super cheap Sony DREX12IPB sound much better so I'm assuming something must be wrong with the Shures..
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I agree, there must be something wrong with your Shures. I for one really like mine, even in comparison with my HD-25s.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I used to have SE210s - the wire kinda broke at the end of one of the buds after two and a half years of almost daily use. At the end it felt like the highs had gotten pretty bad as you mentioned when comparing to my HD25... I can't remember how they sounded new. Always used the tri-flange silicone tips.

FWIW I did mess up the little filters present in each duct over the course of a few cleanups, so eventually they just popped out and some ear wax crept up there, likely muffling the output. That's probably not your problem, but do check that there isn't something obstructing the ducts (other than the filter - be GENTLE with that little cleaning wire).

I guess you should try to have them replaced if that's possible.

Tech Guru

There doesn't seem to be any filter, or anything at all in the duct at the moment. Tri-flange tips are on the way as only the single ball tips were included.

I've sent a message to Shure support asking about it but I'm not sure what to do for the shop I bought from. Can you make a warranty claim just from getting inadequate sound quality?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB