Question about the One

Default Question about the One

Pretty basic question here but ive been learning to dj and am still not quite clear on this. I use traktor but that's not that important to my question. I like to play a lot to hip hop and reggae and in those genres musicians will often start there lyrics one or two beats before the one. When marking cues in songs would you mark a beat one count before the one where necessary and then start it from the 4 count when mixing it as to not cut into the lyrics?

I hope I explained my question well enough. Thanks

If you know your tracks well i wouldn't mind having the 1 on the first beat. However if you prefer to have a visual clue as of when the track is going to drop, cueing the vocals dOesn't add up more than, say, 20 seconds to your beatgridding process
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

It's a good question.

You'd set your beat marker on the 1. The structure of the music, the beat, will not change because the vocals start early (or late).

So you'd add a cue point when the vocals start, and start your track from there. The downbeats of both tracks will line up.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

listen to the track and try to catch the rhythm, imagine the vocal running in your head.

not the greatest example, but similar thing happens here

the vocal sample starts on 4, so i just drop it one beat earlier when mixing,