Beginner Equipment

Default Beginner Equipment

Hello guys i'm new in finger drumming and i want help.
    I watch some videos and some friends give me advice and they say i got it as a finger drummer but i want equipment.
    With a midi fighter or launchpad, a laptop and a soundpack you think that i can start properly ?
    Last edited by MaximosProd; 04-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Yeah you can produce pretty well with those. But for producing you really need a MIDI Keyboard http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Pro-MPK-U...rds=akai+mpk25
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Wizard

That MPK is one of the best pieces of equipment you can have to start out. It has the right amount of keys if you're not a keyboard player, it has the pads, and a few assignable knobs. If lacks a mod wheel & pitch bend, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Oh, and it's cheap. Which is also it's downside, it's cheap...

What's really important is that you know your music theory, production techniques and your software inside out. I just recently really started figuring out what's what. And that after a good 3 years of having Proppelerheads Reason (hardly using it, but still). Playing around & experimenting is fun & can make some of the best music, but it's better to know what you're doing & why. Read, read, read, watch tutorials & practice. ALOT. And don't forget to keep enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    Yeah you can produce pretty well with those. But for producing you really need a MIDI Keyboard http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Pro-MPK-U...rds=akai+mpk25
    I was thinking also for a launchpad because i live in Greece and if i take one i will cost me less money. Also i will use it more for finger drumming

Basically i want it for finger drumming you think that spectra or ableton is better ?

first of all you need a DAW.

i'd recommend Reaper as it has an unlimited trial, you can get in hang of basic workflow with it, you can find a lot of awesome freeware plugins for effects and instruments online.

I'm into take a novation launchpad with mad zach's soundpacks vol 1&2 which it has his own program so i think it's good start for me in finger drumming
    Do you agree guys?

Tech Wizard

I'd personally say no. A Launchpad isn't velocity sensitive, and as far as I know, you'd really want that for finger drumming. And you're already thinking too far ahead in terms of sounds. The soundpacks are alright (I think, haven't tried any), but I wouldn't recommend anything like that for a beginner.

I got a Maschine and it's library is really big, which is really good. But it's all up to you. If you ask me, you pretty much made up your mind already.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I'd add Livid Base to the list.