Adding an X1 to my S4 setup

Default Adding an X1 to my S4 setup

Ok so im wondering if this would be the best fit for what im trying to do, Ill say beforehand I have a midi fighter pro but honestly I feel like its more of a toy and nothing I really would use live, just to damn inconsistent and DJTT seems to have forgotten about the pro's and doesnt ever try making a new inovative mapping for it. Anyways I use an S4 right now, did have a launchpad but I was using it for eq kills and cues 5-8 which NI has added to the s4 and now going to be using it for videos. Well as far as effects ive come to love just using the knobs and buttons on top of my s4 but I always feel im restricted and im always touching my laptop changingand switching things constantly throughout my gigs(fyi using 2 bank effects) Now I could switch to 4 bank but that only allows me to have one bank per one deck and I cant just use all 4 on whatever deck I please, I know theres a few mappings that adress this but I still want to have dedicated knobs for each effect bank so I can basically have all the effects I use during gigs pretty much ready to go whenever i need without 10 seconds before a drop realizing this is a good time to use some reverb or the bass o matic and be like shit I dont have it setup and not have time to go touching my laptop and fixing it. Well enough rambling, now could I just add an X1 to this, switch it to 4 bank effects and basically have it set like 2 bank effects times 2 if that makes sence and be able to control everything without having to do much else?

Tech Mentor

Yes. This is similar to what I plan on doing when my X1 arrives in the next few days

Quote Originally Posted by Da171mastah View Post
    Ok so im wondering if this would be the best fit for what im trying to do, Ill say beforehand I have a midi fighter pro but honestly I feel like its more of a toy and nothing I really would use live, just to damn inconsistent and DJTT seems to have forgotten about the pro's and doesnt ever try making a new inovative mapping for it.
    1000% agree, it's a disgrace how badly the pro has been treated - it came out, a couple of decent mappings were supplied and since then it's become forgotten and works maybe 1/10 times I plug it in. Biggest waste of money I've spent in buying DJ equipment.

Put next to the Classic, which has been stable and never let me down, I would take the classic over both my 3D and Pro any day of the week.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Big Panda is there any mapping your going to go with or u mappping it yourself? actually is it set as is to control all for banks on 4 decks? I dont really know and everytime I search nothing relavent came up. And ya the MFpro was the worst purchase ive made inawhile, they have me tempted with the new generation one they are doing the -contest for but honestly with how this pro worked out I think im just going to get a 950 nexus and use 2 x-1's and be happy with that lol

This is actually what I do with my S4/X1 combo. Even if I don't use all knobs and buttons all the time, I just like having everything I need at my disposal. Therefore I have specific effects on unit 1 and 2 on the S4. I have 3 smart knobs mapped to the first column of the X1, being unit 3 (plus a layer for single effects) and another set of effects on the second X1 column (unit 4) for macro effects. I also have transport controls mapped for decks C/D on the X1 (all in midi mode). Still new to 4 decks though so I still have a lot to learn, but as far as mapping and controls layout it works perfectly for me.

For the S4 I use a modified DJTT mapping in which I removed a lot of stuff which I didn't need (namely remix deck controls which I control with the F1, echo freeze buttons and what not). So if you're interested I can send you my mapping files for you to try out.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

I did a isolator effect mapping with the midi mode of the X1. Basically puts the isolated part of the track in deck D so I can use a MF with Insta Grat mapping to just add effects to that frequency range of the track. Normally just isolate the mids and using the beatmasher and gater a lot smoother. The mapping isn't 100% bug free but its pretty solid. I can post it if anyone is interested.