What to do to spice thing up? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

That video sucked hard, and is the reason everyone who uses Traktor has such a hard time with DJ snobs. You see whilst that slappy mashin twenty buttons a second method seems cool, to the crowd it sounds like a cheaply done remix. Some of the effects (And I mean literally two or three) are used tastefully. Using the LMFAO acapella, he could have just ran Gangnam, looped and played the acapella, and then used those effects for a build up, and then dropped the actual LMFAO track in the chorus, and the dancefloor would love that way more, and it keeps consistency and groove in your music, instead of this "Oh my god, what the fuck is happening to my favourite song? How can I dance to this without being looking epileptic?"

You want to get paid? Learn how to please and attract a crowd. Don't like DJing in a way that people pay you for? Tough. Go find another profession to earn your money. For me, finding ways to cleverly mix and keep a groove with the 99% crap in the top 40's is an enjoyable challenge, getting paid for it is a bonus.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    and is the reason everyone who uses Traktor has such a hard time with DJ snobs.
    Bit of an over-generalization there.

i think that video gave me cancer

Tech Convert

I think it makes a cool video, but I wouldn't do it for an audience.

That video is the epitome of naff controllerism.

Trying to make it as a Dj is akin to the acting proffession, or musician/singer. You are highly likely not going to make much money at all and will NOT be able to give up your day job
    Last edited by Timbo21; 05-02-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Bit of an over-generalization there.
    Not at all. Every Pioneer/vinyl fanboy I have met, as soon as you mention Traktor you can see their facial expression twitch and then they either try to hide it or they just go all out "Oh so you're not like, a proper DJ then?" And I have not yet met one person in that category who has reacted differently. Anyone who uses Traktor around and about will know this reaction.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Not at all. Every Pioneer/vinyl fanboy I have met, as soon as you mention Traktor you can see their facial expression twitch and then they either try to hide it or they just go all out "Oh so you're not like, a proper DJ then?" And I have not yet met one person in that category who has reacted differently. Anyone who uses Traktor around and about will know this reaction.
    Yes, but where I live there's far more Traktor users with residencies than anyone else.

Tech Mentor

Vinyl, CDJ's, or Digital? Crowd doesn't care. Make them dance.

Use the gear that best allows you to do that and stop being influenced by online jabber about what setups are "the best."

de4thbyc4ke - Good music selection is #1 priority. Practice this by getting lots of gigs and learning from every one of them. Once you got that down, and you'll know it, then you can see what 'spice' you actually need.

I never bought any CDj's. They never inspired me. I loved vinyl. I hate CD. CDJ's (to me) are just crappy CD's trying to behave like vinyl. With Traktor you can start to do really interesting stuff, and not the in your face - lack of taste - stuff in this video.

If you put an inexperienced person on a mixing desk they wack up the EQ, put effects on everything, and that is what you see with Traktor sometimes, but it also happened with turntables: too much cutting, or spin backs, etc.

Taste takes time, and you listen back to your old mix tapes and think, OMG, I should have just let that track play.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    I never bought any CDj's. They never inspired me. I loved vinyl. I hate CD. CDJ's (to me) are just crappy CD's trying to behave like vinyl. With Traktor you can start to do really interesting stuff, and not the in your face - lack of taste - stuff in this video.

If you put an inexperienced person on a mixing desk they wack up the EQ, put effects on everything, and that is what you see with Traktor sometimes, but it also happened with turntables: too much cutting, or spin backs, etc.

Taste takes time, and you listen back to your old mix tapes and think, OMG, I should have just let that track play.
    Ditto, I went straight from 16 years of vinyl directly to Traktor in 2010, completely skipping out CDJs, although I have/do use them if required. Funny how CDJ's were the devil and not proper tools for DJ's to use when they were released, just as we've been experiencing over recent years with digital DJ tools. Obviously it's like anything, any bit of kit can be abused and made to sound awful, it's not the fault of the tools but the person using it. A lot of the people I'm involved with are steadily moving over from vinyl/CDJ's to controllers and the like having realised the opportunities they can provide. The button mashing, manic, quick mixing/mashups do my head in too. Just because the tools can do these things, doesn't mean its always good to listen to.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast