Should I be convinced to choose 900s over 850s? why?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I be convinced to choose 900s over 850s? why?

Was at my local store today trying out 1 cdj 850 with 1 cdj 900 and 900 nexus mixer. Not in market for a mixer but i will be selling my 1000s mk3 for some 900s or 850s. They feel nearly exactly the same with the few features of tilted screen, link, quantise and slip. is it really necessary to spend the extra $400 each on 900s? Will be used for house parties and to practice and prepare for a club i play. I can pick up a pair of new 850s for $1418 or a pair of 900s new for $2340. $922 extra.. is it worth those features.

unless you want the extra features then no, the 850s will work quite well.

You won't be able use the 850's in HID mode with Traktor, only Serato.
    TSP2|MFSPECTRA|TECHNICS1200MK2/M3D|WIN764BIT
    MASCHINESTUDIO|KNTRLZ2|KNTRLX1MK2|KNTRLF1|DICERS|V-MODA

1. will you be using them with Traktor
    2. Do you mind using 2 USB drives
    3. Is quantize important
    If you say no to all of those then you do not need the 900's

1. 850 can still be used as soundcard and midi controller for Traktor( not as cool as Advanced HID but ok)
    2. you would be safer anyway to have 2 identical USB drives.
    3. people have been using loops and stuff just fine without quantize for years and you timeing will inprove over time.

So I would say you do not need 900's but their are a little nicer then the 850's
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    1. will you be using them with Traktor
    2. Do you mind using 2 USB drives
    3. Is quantize important
    If you say no to all of those then you do not need the 900's

1. 850 can still be used as soundcard and midi controller for Traktor( not as cool as Advanced HID but ok)
    2. you would be safer anyway to have 2 identical USB drives.
    3. people have been using loops and stuff just fine without quantize for years and you timeing will inprove over time.

So I would say you do not need 900's but their are a little nicer then the 850's
    i may use traktor but i dont plan to buy cdjs to serve as a controller.. 2 usbs isnt a big deal really, but link would be cool. Quantize isnt that important either. I cant get my head around paying that extra 900 for those features when a second usb is like 20bucks for a decent one. Can set loops and cues in rekordbox anyway and use them on 850 wouldnt really be setting cues on 850. Really depends if i can grab a used pair of 900s for $1400 or not.

They sell refurbished 900's on pioneers website. I think it's around $830 or so with free shipping
    TSP2|MFSPECTRA|TECHNICS1200MK2/M3D|WIN764BIT
    MASCHINESTUDIO|KNTRLZ2|KNTRLX1MK2|KNTRLF1|DICERS|V-MODA

Quote Originally Posted by fokaisnake View Post
    They sell refurbished 900's on pioneers website. I think it's around $830 or so with free shipping
    wow. Thats actually quite reasonable, with free shipping as well. Anyone had any experience with their refurbished sales?

Tech Mentor

I have not, other than they seem to never actually have refurbs in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Landsnark View Post
    I have not, other than they seem to never actually have refurbs in stock.
    they seem to other different prices on refurb on their retrospective region sites? 830 on pioneer electronics and on pioneer au like 1300.. which is more expensive than retail new?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fokaisnake View Post
    Good luck getting 900s on the site. Tried for months to get these, calling every single day. Never had them in stock, even though they're displayed on the site. Get secondhand 900s. Might as well spend the extra $, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast